What fabric/material do you wear when walking for exercise?

Options
xNAMOx
xNAMOx Posts: 36 Member
I'm looking for 100% Cotton trackies for my hour daily walks. Good idea or no? Most of my stuff I wear is polyester and not breathable. I have donated bags of clothes after dropping the weight, so looking to rebuild this part of my wardrobe.

Replies

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I wear my hiking gear. Compression leggings and whatever breathable top layer is appropriate. I never use cotton, though, as it doesn't wick moisture away and I don't want to be damp or chafed.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It depends. I prefer natural fabrics, but I'm fine with synthetic leggings or pants when going out for a walk or working out. But if I'm wearing jeans on an ordinary stroll around the neighborhood or hiking, I'm not fussy.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have to wear a moisture wicking shirt otherwise my chest and back break out.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Look for wicking fabrics. The natural ones are wool, alpaca but the wicking synthetics are also very good.

Cotton is the worst.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Cotton does not wick the moisture away from your skin. You may end up with chafing.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I generally wear hiking pants and either golf polos or sunshirts, all made of synthetic wicking fabrics. I wear these 90% of the time, as they are also my work clothes. Although he used to wear jeans and polos, my husband has switched over to hiking pants since starting physical therapy.

I used to be a cotton girl, but these golf polos have lasted so much longer, fit me well and I got the first batch on clearance, so the price was reasonable.
  • xNAMOx
    xNAMOx Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wicking shirts... interesting. Thanks everyone I will do my googles for a place that sells them in sydney aus