HEALTH CHANGES AFTER LOSING WEIGHT...

mama2daboyz
mama2daboyz Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2018 in Success Stories
I'd love to know what the different health changes you've experienced through losing weight. I'm 44, about 225 lbs and am having a hard time getting motivated. I have slightly elevated blood pressure, and I know that losing weight could help them. I have also been dealing with some joint pain and other minor issues. I am hoping that, by reading YOUR experiences, maybe I will get motivated...

BY THE WAY--I realize now that I put this in the wrong category, but I don't see an option to delete it. So, oh well. lol

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited April 2018
    Before I started MyFitnessPal I was 183 pounds at 5’3”, obese by BMI chart, with high blood pressure while on meds. I lost around 10 pounds back then by cutting carbs, but I still ate too much food to go any lower. (I know that now!). Joined here at 173 and am down 23 lbs since January. I’m still in the process of losing the last 15 or so pounds, but my blood pressure is consistently in a good normal range now. It was a major reason I got serious about my weight. I do follow the Dash diet principles (but not the actual diet, if that makes sense) while logging my calories here. Logging is *major* for me and along with really watching sodium and just walking and Pilates I feel so much better.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Medically I am off insulin for my type II diabetes and have cut all my meds down significantly. Wish I could say my joints are better but with more walking and running 5Ks still get some pain but the fact I can do what I want and have no real limitations is totally worth it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I was always relatively healthy but I had this nagging pain in my metatarsal area on my foot. Sometimes it would be so sharp I'd have to stop walking for a minute. Now it is completely gone...come to think of it. I can't remember the last time that happened!
  • QueenBee2018
    QueenBee2018 Posts: 196 Member
    I have lost 41 of the 90 pounds I want to lose, have been lifting weights, walking and counting calories. So many changes for the better.... I am off BP medication with a normal BP, I can spring up and down the stairs, my balance is better- when I was heavier I used the stair railing, now no concerns for a misstep. The clothes are a lot cuter in 12/14 than 18 and I do love to clothes shop! I used to need to take ibuprofen about 10 in the morning on work days because my back hurt--then it moved to noon-- now its only occasionally and usually late in the afternoon. It has also been great for my relationship with my husband--he is logging and weight lifting with me which makes it so much more fun. My hips don't hurt anymore. My left foot with a morton's neuroma barely ever twinges. I rarely have a headache---- thanks for the question OP- it is good to reflect on all the things that are better. The thing is to just start logging-- it gets easier after a few days, don't even worry about being perfect in your calorie counts. You will learn a lot about what works for you just by logging and paying attention to how you feel, When I started I didn't think I could do all the things that I see people here doing to be fit but you don't start off that way-- can you take a daily 10 minute walk? That will do wonders for your motivation. Best of luck to you, you won't regret it!
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Down 20lbs so far, about 80 to go. My blood pressure has gone from 177/102 to 140/90 so far. Still a bit elevated, but this means I get to avoid meds for now. Huge health win. Boy are they right that losing 5% of your weight when you're obese can do wonders for your health.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Cholesterol down 50 points, stopped snoring, cured insomnia, lowered blood pressure and got in shape when I lost 50 pounds. But I have found 25 of them back.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've gone from borderline hypertensive to normal BP. My circulation issues are under control; haven't had a flare-up in over a year.

Six months ago, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. (Thankfully, it's one of the 'safe' ones to get—rarely spreads, caught early, main treatment is surgery to remove the lesions followed by immunotherapy. Main problem is that the lesions have a way of returning which means more surgery.) First of all, at the point when I was diagnosed, I was either at the low end of Obesity class I, or already overweight. If you Google 'surgery complications obesity', there's quite a scary list. Everything from not being able to use general anesthetic, longer recovery times, greater risk of infection, higher mortality rate...

I've had two surgeries for this, the first 5 months ago, the second last week. Both times, no complications; they didn't even keep me overnight like they'd been planning. After the first surgery, one of the nurses asked me if I could 'try sitting up' so I could drink something without choking. (Basically, "It's easier to crank up the bed if the patient tries to not be deadweight.") I sat up easily, no discomfort, no effort, and I remember sort of thinking, "Was this supposed to be a problem?" The nurse complimented me on my trunk muscles...

This time, in recovery, there was a mild cause for concern when my heart rate dropped to 39. Nothing scary, no code [color]; they said I was asymptomatic, but, of course, they called a cardiologist to have a look over the ward phone. Before he even came by, he had one question for the nurse: "Is she a runner?" (I'm not, but I walk about 10k/7mi daily). When he heard that, he said it was probably nothing. Still came over and added something to my IV to speed up my heart somewhat—apparently, my resting heart-rate is slightly below normal now, about 56bpm.

In my heavier days? I'd get winded going up a flight of stairs and need a few minutes to catch my breath.

It's little things. Realizing that I'm walking faster, that I can run up flights of stairs, or carry an old TV from the garage to the side of an uphill driveway... Seeing muscle definition as the flab recedes, thinking I can actually train for a 5K run without embarrassing myself... I've never been in this good shape before. And at 46? That's saying something!
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I was 219 lbs when I started at 31.
    8 months later, I'm 187lbs. I have 25-30lbs left to lose.

I didn't any serious health issues (yet), but things like: joint pain, constant fatigue/lack of energy, and my anxiety was out of control. I also was so hot/sweaty all the time. I avoided things like family walks/hikes, and chasing after my toddler was very difficult. I constantly took the path of least resistance.

I adopted a more active lifestyle for the mental health benefits. It didn't take long to feel the health benefits. After only a month of working out (walking and some very-beginner HIIT videos) three times a week, I was more energetic, WAYYYY less anxious, more patient with my children and life in general.

I now have no joint pain, have energy in reserve, am more fit than I have ever been. Plantar fasciitis is no longer my constant companion. My mental health is way better and I have a viable coping method for the not-great days.

I don't know if I had blood pressure issues or anything of that nature, but my resting heart rate is 8-10 bpm lower than it was when I started.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I'm 5'4", 50 years old, have hypothyroidism and was 180 pounds in July 2014. Took me a year and a half to lose 55 pounds and now I'm trying to maintain a healthy range - hard to do! I'm a few pounds over my original goal but I'm on the downward trend again.

Anyway, I had been on high cholesterol statins for years before losing and was able to go off of them.

I don't get winded anymore going up a flight of stairs.

I also went hiking with some friends my age last summer and realized that they kept getting winded after going up a hill and would have to stop and rest and I was breathing normally. They aren't much larger than me, just maybe not in as good of shape.

I'm now able to ride my recumbent trike 20 miles very easily.

Totally kicked the diet soft drink habit and drink one cup of coffee (usually) per day and the rest of the time I'm constantly drinking water.

I generally eat a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables- I started doing that while losing because you can eat a lot more for a lot fewer calories, plus the high fiber fills you up! And then it just makes you feel better to eat healthier.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    I think you have a good idea about the healthy benefits of losing weight but there are so many little things that we gain back that we didn't realize we lost. Things like tying your shoes or even bending down to pickup something without a second thought, saying yes to that invite to go on a hike or an amusement park or a museum. Things that when we are heavy we might hesitate to participate in, just being more active benefits our physical and mental health. I started because one day I looked at my mother and just admitted I did not want to be like her. I don't want to talk to my peers about this ache or that ache or spend that much of my time picking this prescription and that one, etc.. There is a great deal of power in taking control of your health.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Only around a stone lighter so far and my lower back pain has improved so much!
  • Lesley2603
    Lesley2603 Posts: 119 Member
    No more heartburn.
    No more pain in hips, knees and ankle.
    Much more confidence.
    I run up and down stairs
    I’m not out of breath walking up the mile long hill from the train station to my home.
    Can easily get out of the bath
    More energy
    The list is endless
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!