Sore hips am I walking too much?

Options
I did 6 miles yesterday but it's just walking not even started running yet I am about to try yoga and my dad suggested using a pillow between my knees cause I am a side sleeper

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing that a lot? as not just yesterday but day in day out??
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you been doing that a lot? as not just yesterday but day in day out??

This
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    Have you lost a lot of weight? I'm a side sleeper as well and noticed more hip pain after I lost weight. Less "padding", I suppose.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    6 miles is a lot if that's your first walk.

Ease back and start slow.

If you've been walking for a while, and the pain is new, then you should see a doctor.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and I'm sore too. Sometimes wonder if there's a technique I'm missing out on.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you taking rest days as you increase your distance? Stretching? How are your shoes?

People get the impression that walking is easy and therefore doesn't require the same precautions as other forms of exercise. BS. Any new exercise, including higher intensity of familiar exercise, should be approached knowledgably.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    What kind of hip pain, where exactly? On the side, at the joint, dull/sharp? If it's on the side of your hip you may have adhesions in the connective tissue running down the side of your hip. Use of a foam roller helps that a lot.
  • ulookfabulous135
    ulookfabulous135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In order to make suggestions, I think we need to know more about the pain. For example: are you in pain all the time? Only during exercise? (And the reason I am asking . . . = mostly when you sleep on your side?).

You mentioned that your father suggested sleeping with a pillow between your legs. I think I know what that one is! For years I thought I had arthritis and I toughed it out. As I got older it grew worse, until I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs at night because I sleep on my side too. It bothered me more when on laying my side, that other times. Walking usually provided some relief.

Finally the pain became without relief - and I found myself limping when I walked - so I went to the doctor for X-rays and the official bad news. Dumb me. I did not have arthritis. Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain. A sports doctor gave me a Cortisone Injection in my hip and - after one day of soreness - I was pain free for a year! I went back once a year for three years, and then I didn't need them anymore. That was about 5 years ago. It cost about $250 because I wasn't meeting my deductible.

If both hips hurt, get shots in both hips. One time I had to go back two weeks after the injection because he had missed the bursa the with the Cortisone. Doctor might require X-rays first. Hope that is helpful.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's a long walk, walking like running should be built up to.
    a pillow might help
    good shoes too. if you are going to be walking a distance, you might want to get fitted for a good pair of shoes.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    If you don't usually walk that long/far you will be sore. My calves are sore when I walk my six miles around the lake.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    it's a long walk, walking like running should be built up to.
    a pillow might help
    good shoes too. if you are going to be walking a distance, you might want to get fitted for a good pair of shoes.

All great suggestions.

6 miles is a LOT if it's 6 miles more than you usually do. (Or 5, or 4, or 3...)
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I avoided hip and knee pain by going to a running store and being professionally fit for new shoes. It's worth the cost!
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I started developing hip bursitis from the repetitive hip movement with walking every single day 7 days a week. I even had discomfort with sleep. I took Advil or Tylenol for the discomfort and did some hip exercises. YouTube has some great stretching videos assuming it’s a hip bursitis issues from excessive use, try the hip bursitis stretches. This video https://youtu.be/Lmjidcc5ccA was helpful and after 2 weeks the hip pain was gone. I also did stretches before and after walking.
    If your pain is worsening you should see your doctor for evaluation.
  • the8BitGirl
    the8BitGirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had incredibly sore hips when I first started walking, going from utterly sedentary to only very lightly active. The muscles just seemed to be sore/tight all the time. It got a lot better for me when I started doing squats under load and developed my glutes, hamstrings and quads a bit. I have read that atrophied weak glutes can make weak hip flexors hurt more and a make a tight IT band worse and that seems to have been the case for me. IANAD but it might be worth looking into. Hope it gets better for you soon!
  • redsrunning250
    redsrunning250 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m not a doctor but I had similar issues and it turned out to be sciatica. The pain got so bad I was put on a steroid and needed to rest for a couple of weeks with tons of stretching. I also changed my shoes to a much more supportive shoe. Now I’m happy to report no more pain!!! Hope you figure it out, pain is an awful feeling to live with.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    OP you haven't come back to see your replies ....