Starvation Mode 2

Options
OK, looked at older posts, I think I generally understand the concept of what it means to put your body into "starvation mode".

So now, I'm just wondering, how the heck it is possible for someone flabby like me (plenty of love on my handles to share) who is almost 30 lbs overweight (BMI= 27.8, BMR=1,470) to possibly ever be in starvation mode?

I guess I am worried that I have messed up my body so badly by trying to eat less than 1200 calories for over 3 months that if I now start trying to eat closer to those 1200 calories that I am going to gain back the 15 lbs I have already lost....

(EDIT: based on the article David Greenwalt wrote, I do have "wrenches" thrown into the mix...underactive thyroid and type ONE diabetes since I'm 7 years old...

Also, I just wanted to set the record a tiny bit straighter- I eat EXTREMELY well balanced foods- fruits, veggies, no simple carbs, and lean proteins like chicken, turkey, and a little fish. Over the past 3 months, I've been going to the gym 3-4 times/week....

it seems as if someone who experiences this "starvation mode" (from David Greenwalt's article) does none of the things I do. I may not be eating the 1200 calories MFP suggests, but I am also NOT eating junk food....how does this weigh in (literally, lol)?

...this is a mess)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Did you read this one? I did post it in your other post....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • missana221
    missana221 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well when I was in starvation mode I wasn't losing as much as I do now.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    many moons ago, I ate around 500 cals a day...and I did that for over a year! so when I got my head straightened out and started to eat properly...I did gain some weight, it was inevitable. the body has to find some balance with itself especially if you've been an "under-feeder".

So don't fear it, it may happen and if it does just know it is only PART of your journey, ok?

After you gain a few (if you do) then your body will figure out that it is not starving anymore and you can gain the control back. with a well structured plan, you will begin to lose and get in the shape you want.

Trust the process, you can do it!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter how overweight you are, it's a matter of your body's needs being met...if you're not feeding it enough it's going to store what you do eat as fat, because your body knows it's got to make the food stretch since you aren't feeding it properly. Eating more should jump start your metabolism and actually help you lose weight.
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    starvation mode doesn't mean you'll look* malnourished.. from what i understand, it means that your metabolism decreases an extreme amount. i was thinking the same thing, "i have a lot of fat to burn before i go into starvation mode!" but that's not the case. i just upped my calorie intake from 1200 to 1500. i burn about 600-700 calories a day, and "eat back" a good amount of those calories. so far, it's working in my favor.

you need to feed your metabolism in order to keep it working efficiently! it's a scary process, and it feels weird eating so much more than usual, but i honestly FEEL so much better. try it out!
  • MichelleF81
    MichelleF81 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will gain again if you eat back to a healthy level of calories as your body will try to hold onto every calorie it gets because it doesn't know how long it will get these for so it puts them all away for the expected return to caloric sparsity.

Stick with it though and after a week or 2, you'll come out of starvation mode and start losing again and soon lose that bit you had to put back on and keep losing beyond. And when you lose it this time it'll be healthily so once you're at your goal weight you can steadily increase up to a maintenance level without ballooning back up. It'll be easier too as you won't feel hungry all the time. Plus it's easier to get all your nutrients, minerals and vitamins etc with a healthy amount of calories.

And before I get flamed, I'm aware that not everybody believes in 'starvation mode'... Just my opinion on the matter ;~)
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Did you read this one? I did post it in your other post....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

great link!!
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    that BMR is what you would burn if all you did was lay in bed all day and didn't move at all. you have to add in any calories you'd burn for you everyday routine.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A lot of the "starvation mode" talk is over blown, and biologically really has to do not only with low calorie, but also with low activity. To really put your body into "starvation mode" (which is not a clinical concept by the way) you need to be eating <500 calories on a regular basis and not exercising. And even if that is the case, if you up your calories, but burn more you will still lose weight. Your body is a closed system, input and output have to balance. If you burn 3000 calories and take in 1500, the balance has to come from somewhere (fat stores). You probably need to be eating more, but you should not start gaining weight, and will probably start to lose a little faster after the first week or so.
  • jlg05001
    jlg05001 Posts: 21
    Options
    Edited my original post
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So now, I'm just wondering, how the heck it is possible for someone flabby like me (plenty of love on my handles to share) who is almost 30 lbs overweight (BMI= 27.8, BMR=1,470) to possibly ever be in starvation mode?
    Drop to 500 calories and you'll find out!

When medical people discuss starvation mode, it's at the 500 cals/day level or less. When you do that to your body, it places a lot of demands on you.

The first thing you body does is start consuming fat which it has so wisely created as an energy store. Once the body fat is at "essential levels" (about 5% for men), your body will consume other tissue until death.

Eating below 1200 calories is not "starvation mode". There are many people who will gain weight at 1200 calories. My impression is that MFP recommends that you eat at least 1200 net cals/day because most people will lose weight and, generally speaking, you will not feel hunger pangs. In addition, they recommend lots of water. One of the reasons to drink lots of water is that it cuts down on hunger pangs.

Between 1200 calories per day and lots of water, most people will lose weight and not feel hungry which means that a higher percentage of people will hit their weight goals. And that's a good thing.

But, for the love of Mike (no pun intended) please don't think for a second that you're in starvation mode just because you've eaten below 1200 calories.

There's nothing wrong with eating 1200 calories while you're trying to lose weight. And, for many people, there's no problem eating fewer than 1200 calories.

I lost almost 100 pounds in 7 months at 800 to 1k net cals/day. There were days when I ate a few more than 1k but I tried to keep it at that level. The reason I chose 800 to 1000 was because hundreds of thousands of people have lost weight at that calorie level in the 40 years that Lindora have been in business (they're located here in Southern California).

Yes, hundreds of thousands of people have safely lost weight eating well under 1200 calories per day. It ain't magic.

[quoteI guess I am worried that I have messed up my body so badly by trying to eat less than 1200 calories for over 3 months that if I now start trying to eat closer to those 1200 calories that I am going to gain back the 15 lbs I have already lost...
    [/quote]
    I don't think you can "break" your digestive system. :-)

I've stopped losing and am trying to get to maintenance levels for calories. Like you, I don't want to gain weight back so I'm doing it slowly and carefully.

My CPD (calories per day) when I was losing was 1240 and I've bumped it to 1750. I'm hitting two problems -
    1 - it's hard to eat that much food
    2 - I'm training for a half-marathon in two weeks and a marathon in December so I've had to change my protein/carbs/fat percentages and I'm having a hard time eating that many carbs.

The good thing that I'm seeing is that I'm, generally speaking, in a "channel" - my weight varied only about 3 pounds since July 1.

What I've seen of the past 6 weeks that I've been in maintenance is that you won't gain back the weight unless you put the extra calories in your mouth.

So, long post I realize, please don't worry about starvation mode. 1200 calories is an excellent guideline that allows lots of people to lose weight in a healthy, not unpleasant manner. A few moments of "critical thinking" make it clear that it's not a "line of death".

One last thought - ever do any photography? Almost all cameras have an "automatic" mode. Automatic mode makes it easy for lots and lots of people to get good pictures (by which I mean the images are properly exposed and focused). Automatic mode works in the vast majority of situations and most people are very happy with the results.

1200 calories per day + 8 cups of water per day = automatic mode

Some cameras have automatic mode as well as other modes, one of which is manual mode. Folks who learn about photography often switch off automatic mode and use manual mode because there are situations that auto can't deal with or where they want control over their images in a very specific way. If you're eating < 1200 calories (+/-), you're in manual mode.

My results?

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind is that people generally under report calories so a lot of people might think ' oh no I have only had 1150 cal today best shove in some more cos I will be in starvation mode' when in actual fact they have prob had 1500 or more. This is why i don't worry about starvation mode. I have set my cal at 1100 net because I know I under record. It is not that I forget but I misjudge as I have a handful of cereals/nuts etc here and there and make a guess. I know I have been wrong cos of how long the packet lasts, I then realise I have had more than I thought!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Of course, you have to factor in that by eating less calories, your body won't simply exclusively burn the fat stores for energy. Muscle is calorifically expensive to run for your body (it costs more calories to maintain than fat) so it's logical that muscle will be one of the first tissues to be used for required energy. Your body can burn fat for energy and it will get the energy, or it can burn muscle tissue for energy and as well as getting the energy it needs, it can also reduce the energy requirement of the body for the next day and the day after - double bubble!

This is how people end up 'skinny fat' and is why I changed my goal weight down twice before I realised I had to exercise as well to maintain muscle and increase fat burn which would eventually get me the body I wanted.

Sort of forgot the point I was making in relation to this thread now... But anyway. Eat enough of the right kind of food and exercise to shape your body and increase your overall fitness.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yea know what, you never know until you try it. What you are doing now isn't working, right? So try something else. TRY eating more. Give it 6 weeks. See what happens.