Old Newbie

Options
Hi. I’m Stacie. I’ve been off and on MyFitness for years but never joined a community. I have a long history in fitness, the torn up joints and yo-yo scales to prove it. Many changes in my life took me away from personal training and lead me to nursing school in my forties. I’ve stepped out of my comfort zone so many times I’ve lost count. Now I’m a home health nurse, and raising 3 kids on my own. Two in college and one in elementary. I preach daily to my patients about healthy eating and exercise. I know what should/needs to be done but I also know the struggle is real. I’ve put on 20 pounds I don’t need and am struggling to get it off. At 47, I don’t want to bust my butt and starve like I used to. Sometimes I think being fat wouldn’t be so bad, then the heart burn starts, the joints are killing me and I’m borderline diabetic. I know enough to know that I need support and encouragement. My life is too busy and my workout schedule too erratic to join an in person group. So I decided to try an online one. My intent is slow and steady wins the race. I don’t want or expect to drop the 20 in weeks, I’m ok with 1-2 pounds a week or less. I’m committed to eating healthy, but I’m done with denying myself also. I’m fully bought into “all in moderation.” This time the goal is more about the health of it and I know I’m healthier if I’m 20 pounds lighter.

Replies

• donnelldixon25
    donnelldixon25 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Never give up!
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, Stacie. I'm Jessica and an old newbie myself. I haven't actively participated in the forums for 6 years or more, and I have decided that needs to change. I need motivation, support, and like-minded people who are on the same path to learning to live healthy -- not just to lose weight.

Cards on the table: I have been morbidly obese my entire life. I spent 2016-17 in a program that was to ultimately land a weight loss surgery. I got denied at the last minute because I allegedly failed their psych evaluation. I was told to get therapy for a minimum of a year, then I could try again. Meanwhile, during this last year, my heart decided to go all funky and I'm now on twice the medications I was, plus additional diagnoses of Fibromyalgia and severe arthritis of the facet joints in my spine. My mobility has greatly decreased and even as I fill out the new patient paperwork to rejoin the program, I am terrified they will deny me surgery again.

So, that said, MFP is my backup plan. Again. And this time, I'm going to stick to it. Anyone should feel free to send me a friend request. I'll cheer you on right back!
  • stacielheckgmailcom2015
    Options
    Hi Jessica! I’ll cheer you on. I’m always happy to “nurse” you through your medical struggles too. Have you researched diets that can help with your medical struggles?
  • WhimsicalChimera
    WhimsicalChimera Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Gah. 3rd time is charm.

Tried to send you a message/friend request. Don't know if it went through.
  • stacielheckgmailcom2015
    Options
    I just saw it. There’s new stuff on here I don’t know how to use. Especially the community stuff since I never joined any before. Kinda feel like I’m fumbling around
  • anpinkham
    anpinkham Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Stacy...I gained 30 lbs when I went from working in the hospital to home health. It’s so easy to go through the drive thru in beteeen pts. I’ve been packing my lunch and skipping D&D drive through. I’ve lost almost 7 lbs recently. Logging all of my foods has been a game changer for me. Good luck
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You sound like what I used to be like, been here since 2012 having realised I had to find a way to lose weight in a way that didn't feel hard and that worked.... and MFP was a godsend. (I'm approaching 5 years at goal weight).

Moderation is key. Eating the foods you enjoy and like but limit the calorie dense ones (usually they don't fill us up for long anyway).

Start logging your meals/snacks consistently and accurately, that helps you understand how many calories you are eating for one thing and once you see that it just takes a small calorie deficit you'll be on the road to losing :smile:

With only having 20lbs to lose, go the slow and steady route, aim for 0.5-.75lb a week, that's just a 250-350cals you need to cut out per day to what you're eating now - doesn't that sound much more doable? you betcha :smiley:

All the best,
    Ruth
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hello Stacie. Like you, I have been around MFP for a while but have never been active in the community. I'm 57 and have experienced the ups and downs of weight and exercise. When I was in my 20's and 30's I ran and was fit - weighing around 175-180 pounds. I quit somewhere along the way and gained weight. 15 years ago I was over 250 pounds. I decided to lose weight and get fit. I started running and cycling and watching my diet. I lost down to 180 pounds or so. I was running 25-30 miles a week and riding my bike 125-150 miles a week. I was in great shape and felt wonderful. For some unknown reason one day I just stopped doing those things. (I blame it on long work hours - but that's just an excuse). I slowly gained back the weight. This January I went to the doctor - I was 265 pounds, felt terrible, and hypertensive. So I began the weight loss journey again. I'm down 30 pounds and starting to exercise again. I'm trying very hard this time around to make my choices a lifestyle I can sustain. I'm not sure I would have the courage to do this one more time.
    So - the point is - I understand the frustration of being a bit older and trying to get back in shape. I understand the aches and pains. But I also know that it's just a choice. I am finally choosing to do the right things. The weight is coming off. fitness is returning. It's slow but it's steady. You will have the same success.