Did losing weight solve your back problems?

I'm in a viscous cycle. I'm 4 stones overweight and have started the weight loss journey again. My back keeps going and spasming.

What exercises should I be doing (too much exertion causes my back to spasm, then I can't exercise)
When my back 'goes' can I stop it from spasming?
The physiotherapist sighed last time I went say 'we can go over the same things AGAIN' :neutral: she told me I'd have to learn to live with it and I'm too fat :-( I know that, but I'm working on it :-(

Are there any back success stories.

FWIW When my back first went, I was NOT overweight. I was incredibly stressed at work and I think this contributed. The weight has crept on during my back problems and stress comfort eating.

Replies

• ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Not so far, and I've lost 79 pounds. Degenerative disk disease is no fun. Steroid shots every three months do help.
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    I've been to the dr after every episode (trying to book the latest appointment). I'm given pain killers and muscle relaxers (naproxen/ diazepam etc). But don't dare take any this time until I've been back in as I've been getting chest pains and I'm certain they're linked.

The physio seems to think I'm wasting her time :neutral:

What are the best core exercises?

I gave to work this afternoon - I do agency work so no sick/ holiday pay. At least I'll be able to ' keep moving '
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    I had severe lower back pain and have since receiving my first Epidural when my first son was born almost 24 years ago. There are times it would lock up on me to the point I couldn't even roll or turn over in the bed. Since losing weight... I don't experience that anymore. I have had some low back pain, but NOTHING like it used to be. It can/will help alleviate some of your discomfort.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    When you say back spasms, do you mean lower back spasms where you move innocently and you're suddenly stuck?

I used to get this a lot. In February 2016 the spasm was so bad I spent a week relying on ibuprofen gel and moving as little as possible (I couldn't walk fast at all). I had to wear heels (only 1-2 inches) as flat shoes put too much tension on my back muscles.

Long story short: I had the most appalling core strength; my abdominal muscles were ridiculously weak. Doing pilates and yoga helped me increase my core strength slowly which reduced the intensity of the spasms. Since I started resistance training in early 2017 I have increased my core strength so much that I have not had a single back spasm.

Start gently. Yoga & Pilates are great as they teach you to engage your core in a gentle way. Once you have mastered that, you'll get better with engaging your core during other things. Don't bombard your abs with supposed ab workouts, you really don't need it (and if your abs are weak you are more likely to injure your back doing them). Whatever you do, just focus on engaging your core and you'll slowly notice an improvement.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    In the same line I hope that losing weight will help my knees, it did last time the pain went away completely. But right now I have to go really easy on some exercises (squats and lunges for example) even if I want to push myself so I hope it goes away again.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    solve no, help yes... that's some tough love from the physio, so get on with that weight reduction.
    more importantly (as several other posters have said) is to work on core strength. Strong core muscles will support your back structure and significantly improve your situation. I have had two surgeries due to back problems, and spent a lot of time on opiates, you don't want to go down that road.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it will help but not solve. depending on the issues, improving your core will also help-it's more than just stomach muscles
    you do not need to exercise to lose weight, though i find it does help giving me a bigger deficit or more room for delicious food
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Improvement yes. Solved, no. I have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis (arthritis) in my back, and have at least 3 previously herniated/bulging discs in my lumbar region, one (L4/L5) had to be surgically repaired about a dozen years ago because it was pressing on the nerves so hard I lost all feeling and muscle control below the waist. Recovery from that and fear of doing anything strenuous is likely what landed me overweight/obese over the next 10 years.

Since I've lost the weight and gone back down to a normal weight the back problems are much better. However, I even managed to re-injure my back several times the first year doing too much walking and weight training (not enough recovery time). Most days my back is better off now that I've built significant muscle around it and in my core, but I still wake up in pain most days until I can get up, do some stretching, and get on with my workout. But I now take Tylenol or Ibuprofen maybe 1-2x per week instead of living on the max dose per day as I did that first year. So it's better, but will never be 'solved'. I even run 5k's in the warmer weather now and have a ton of fun with it. That's something I never thought I would be able to do again after my original injury and surgery.
  • Storm985
    Storm985 Posts: 44 Member
    Thank you.

Right. Core it is.

I've been doing the myrtle routine for flexibility- that has helped. Are there any similar core routines while I try to find a Pilates teacher near me?

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    No...

Working on my core strength and moving correctly did. Also.. lifting with correct form works wonders!

Mabe look into that AFTER you go see a doctor to rule out disk problems?

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. I am still obese, but with proper exercises and slowly ramping up more intense exercises, my back is doing pretty well. And that is with degenerative disc.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    A word about Pilates. Try to find one with experience with men. And expect a learning curve.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    I have 3 herniated discs. One in my low back, 2 in my neck. I lost 30 lbs. and did feel a little better, but it was joining a gym and committing to a regular plan of strength training that has really helped me turn the corner on pain. I still have some discomfort from the low back (hip & leg pain) but nothing like before. Prescription drugs were the only thing that helped me until I strengthened the muscles in my abs, core, back and legs. Now a single Ibuprofen takes care of any discomfort. You do NOT have to wait until you lose weight to begin exercise & strength training. Go get strong!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Well I guess it depends on what's causing your back problems.

A year ago I could hardly walk or stand because my knees and back ...... more my back .....hurt so much.

I have bone on bone arthritis in my knees but seriously it was the lower back pain that hobbled me more than anything.

One year later I'm 107 lbs lighter.

Yes I still have bone on bone knee pain but my back pain has totally disappeared.

I can't say it's all because of the weight loss.... I've also been exercising so my core and overall strength has improved but I'm betting alot of it was due to losing the weight.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Walking! (But this is coming from someone with no disc issues...so I can't speak for that!) but if I keep up my walking, my back is strengthened! If I skip a few days, I start to feel that familiar unpleasant twinge...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    If you find Pilates or yoga too much to begin with, look into aqua fit.
    It will strengthen your core and back but is easier on your joints.

Quite often there are gentle classes or ones that are run by a PT.

Cheers, h.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    I have ankylosing spondylitis. While I was in the process of getting diagnosed, I lost a little weight to put me into a healthy range. It did not help the pain at all. However, I am now on medication for the disease and feel much better. I'm able to exercise, which I'm sure helps.