Cold water or warm water?

Options
Which is better for you in terms of weight loss? I've read conflicting things on various websites arguing for and against both. So I wanted to get your take on this.

The inspiration for this question came from the fact our fridge has broken and I have a couple of warm bottles of water beside me waiting to be drank. lol

Replies

• jbretz
    jbretz Posts: 43
    Options
    Definitely cold water. Your body can only process warm water, so your body has to work to warm the cold water up.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Don't think it really matters. Ice cold water will need burn "more" calories, but it's so little to even counts. Whatever make you happy and drink more, do that
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I always read cold water because it will spike your metabolism. Honestly I doubt it makes that much of a difference. It mostly depends on which way you're more likely to drink it regularly, as long as you're getting water you'll lose weight. Personally I prefer mine ice cold.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't like super cold water.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't know that the additional calories it takes your body to warm up ingested cold water is all that much....

If you are trying to drink plenty of water, room temperature is the best for that - you're able to drink a lot more in one setting than cold water.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it probably hardly makes a difference. I think the idea you are hinting at is that it's better to drink (& eat) cold because then our body will burn some calories by bringing it up to body temperature, but I'd say those calories are negligible. I'd just go by what you prefer. If you can't drink cold water, just drink it warm.
  • RoseCoreling
    RoseCoreling Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Don't think it really matters. Ice cold water will need burn "more" calories, but it's so little to even counts. Whatever make you happy and drink more, do that
    That's what I was going to say, I'm sure whatever extra cals cold water burns is really miniscule in comparison to warm water :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well the room temperature water isn't going to do you any harm!

All water is good water - the cold stuff may use a few more calories to heat it up, but we're not talking major calorie burn here!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Cold or warm, doesn't matter. Just make sure it's Pants-filtered.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Room temperature or warm, because it helps the digestion too. I drink about a gallon of room temperature water per day :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    I like mine room temperature. I fill my large Camelbak and then drink 8oz @ a time without an "ice" headache. I find I drink more this way, but everyone is different. I would do what you prefer.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I always read cold water because it will spike your metabolism. Honestly I doubt it makes that much of a difference. It mostly depends on which way you're more likely to drink it regularly, as long as you're getting water you'll lose weight. Personally I prefer mine ice cold.

I've always heard the same about the metabolism, but I agree just as long as you drink it, and drink lots of it!

I like mine cold too, esp after a good workout! :)
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    Cold.

Your body burns calories when warming the cold water to your body temp. I learned this from a doctor.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Cold or warm, doesn't matter. Just make sure it's Pants-filtered.

I lose faster when I do just this. Maybe its the vomiting but I'm guessing its not.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Whichever you will drink more of is better.

Me, personally... won't drink water until it's room temperature. If it's got ice in it, it's gonna just sit there until it warms up.... so warm water is better for me.
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    What;s pants filtered?

And of course I'm not trolling. Warm v Cold is a perfectly legitimate question (albeit one I might not have thought of had our fridge not broke)

I also find I can drink warm water faster, but I'll happily drink it warm or cold.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    A calorie is defined as "The energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C" so this is really just a simple math question. A cup of water (8oz) is 236 grams. Your refrigerator is ~ 4°C, your body is 37°C (a 33 degree difference). Room temperature is about 22°C (a 15 degree difference). So if you drank all 8 cups of your daily water straight from the fridge, you would burn 62 Calories. If you drank them at room temperature, you would burn 28 Calories.

In short, it doesn't matter.
  • matt1986wilson
    Options
    Well 62 is significant enough for me. Although by your calculations since I'm only aiming for 4 cups (or 1ltr), I'd only be burning 31 calories a day just doing that. So yeah it actually doesn't really matter.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    But it's not 62. It's 62 (cold water) - 28 (room temperature water). 34 calories. If it means you get an extra hershey kiss today, go for it. But in the grand scheme of weight loss, it's miniscule.