Protien shakes for dummies....

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
Okay, there were no instructions on the package! I bought EAS 100% whey vanilla mainly because it was at Sam's club and I was there. I've tried twice now mixing it in a blender bottle, with 12oz milk and still have lumps. What am I doing wrong? More milk? Water? Don't buy the cheap stuff at Sams (although it wasn't exactly cheap)?

Replies

• Suzay
    Suzay Posts: 60
    Options
    I mix my 100% Gold Standard whey protein (rounded scoop) with 200ml of milk. You could try and lessen the milk but it depends on the recommendations I suppose...
  • Becks20vt
    Becks20vt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use Myprotein Whey Powder and their mixer bottle and its always perfectly smooth. Thats with 1 or 1.5 scoops and 300ml milk or water
  • hatchet83
    Options
    Have you got a grill at the top of your shaker bottle so as you shake it the milk and powder go through it and it mixes??
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Okay, there were no instructions on the package! I bought EAS 100% whey vanilla mainly because it was at Sam's club and I was there. I've tried twice now mixing it in a blender bottle, with 12oz milk and still have lumps. What am I doing wrong? More milk? Water? Don't buy the cheap stuff at Sams (although it wasn't exactly cheap)?

EAS is great, but really you have to use a blender for it. It does get and stay clumpy. I'd suggest Jillian Michael's whey protein powder if you want to be able to use a shaker.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Does your blender bottle have one of those metal balls in it? I just put my shakes in the Magic Bullet now!

Edit to add:

I use Scivation Whey (I buy it online in a 10lb box for best value). It's a VERY fine powder and mixes great in everything!
    I stir into my yogurt & oatmeal.... mixes great in shaker bottle too.
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    The best way to do protein shakes is in a blender and with Ice...it makes them more 'milkshake' like I do it all the time. Really good to add a small amount of fruit too :)
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Have you got a grill at the top of your shaker bottle so as you shake it the milk and powder go through it and it mixes??

No, but it's got one of those little spring balls in it.
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use a good-ol electric blender!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    12 oz of should be plenty of liquid. I usually do 4-6 oz per scoop.

When I had EAS for a while it mixed up real easy, especially in the blender bottle. It should be totally smooth within 30 seconds or less. I wonder if it's a bad package somehow? Like maybe moisture got in and made it clumpy?

Is it a nice dry non-clumpy powder in the container?
  • Rae6503
    Options
    The best way to do protein shakes is in a blender and with Ice...it makes them more 'milkshake' like I do it all the time. Really good to add a small amount of fruit too :)

I am planning on drinking it mostly as my afternoon snack (since I have hunger "issues" in the afternoons) and I am at school, working in a cubicle most afternoons. I have a fridge and microwave but no blender...
  • Rae6503
    Options

When I had EAS for a while it mixed up real easy, especially in the blender bottle. It should be totally smooth within 30 seconds or less. I wonder if it's a bad package somehow? Like maybe moisture got in and made it clumpy?

Hrm. It is a little clumpy in the original container. Crap.
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh man..EAS Vanilla. I tried that a long time ago and couldn't stand it. After trying a many different proteins, i've found that for me, Optimum Nutrition's products mix+/taste the best. Additionally they provide the best amino acid profile that I have seen on the market.

On a separate note, if you're incorporating protein shakes into you're diet for the long run (I hope so) you're better off purchasing in larger amounts (2lb, 4lb etc). The value per serving on EAS protein is very low.

Best of Luck!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options

I am planning on drinking it mostly as my afternoon snack (since I have hunger "issues" in the afternoons) and I am at school, working in a cubicle most afternoons. I have a fridge and microwave but no blender...

I bought an extra Magic Bullet and keep one at my desk at work! =)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i recommend optimum nutrition 100% gold standard protein...it doesn't have the clumpy problem like other types of tried and it mixes well with water or in a smoothie with fruit.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Oh man..EAS Vanilla. I tried that a long time ago and couldn't stand it. After trying a many different proteins, i've found that for me, Optimum Nutrition's products mix+/taste the best. Additionally they provide the best amino acid profile that I have seen on the market.

On a separate note, if you're incorporating protein shakes into you're diet for the long run (I hope so) you're better off purchasing in larger amounts (2lb, 4lb etc). The value per serving on EAS protein is very low.

Best of Luck!

The Sam's Club package was 5lbs. I don't find it bad tasting at all. But maybe if I make it through this stuff I'll try the Optimum, I think this is the second suggestion I've had for it.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lol..gotta get the good stuff.

remember to read the nutrition on the back and the ingredients to make sure your getting the good stuff.
    i personally use NOW sports whey isolate..but i'm trying to build muscle specifically.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you DEFINITELY need to use a blender for EAS. I have gotten in the habit and enjoy making smoothies anyway so I usually always go straight to the blender. Plus, you can add some fruit to it too. Or sometimes I add some peanut butter and a small scoop of nesquick to it for more of treat. Really, you can add anything, I bet honey would be a good add in with a vanilla protein....ohh! I should try that! :)

Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    Does your blender bottle have one of those metal balls in it? I just put my shakes in the Magic Bullet now!

Edit to add:

I use Scivation Whey (I buy it online in a 10lb box for best value). It's a VERY fine powder and mixes great in everything!
    I stir into my yogurt & oatmeal.... mixes great in shaker bottle too.

I was thinking mine might be good in coffee!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    i recommend optimum nutrition 100% gold standard protein...it doesn't have the clumpy problem like other types of tried and it mixes well with water or in a smoothie with fruit.

2nd or third the recommendation for Optimum Nutrition... Amazon.com's Subscribe & Save gets the price down to really reasonable too.

edit - I can haz grammar.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Hrm. It is a little clumpy in the original container. Crap.

Return it.. they'll probably take it back