Newbie - Looking for friends & support

Options
Hi,

Well I have just signed up to MFP. I have already lost just over 3 stone, with a good 5st+ to go. I am 34 years old from Lancashire, UK, mum to a 7 year old and close to finishing my first year at University, with another 3 to go.

I have been your classic yo-yo since the age of 13/14. I have always battled with my weight. I have joined all the slimming groups, numerous times. The one that I found work for me was Slimming World, where I lost the 3+stone, but I have struggled with the pressures of going to group recently, controlling my syns and portion sizes. Though they say you can have mountains of food on SW, at the end of the day, it all amounts to calories, and I need to regain some control over these again. So here I am, with the need of a little support.

I have a membership with my local gym and have just started going back after being off with a knee injury for 2 months. I love swimming and wanting to start the gym again, doing cardio and toning. I have recently started Pilates as well, which I am really enjoying. I am hoping to start the couch to 5k, as I love to get out in the fresh air, as well as being in the gym. Any tips for beginning work outs in the gym are highly appreciated.

Replies

• TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,585 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP... lots of good stuff here!
  • UntilProud
    UntilProud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Welcome aboard the hype train! Congrats on your current weight loss, 3 stone is an amazing start! Your story is incredible, we all deal with the yo-yo! Coming onto MFP will help you maintain a healthy weight loss and it'll help you keep the weight off if you're willing to log! There are amazing hacks to set up for yourself when it comes to group meeting and self control.

Feel free to add me! I'd love to watch you succeed! I'm on a large journey myself, and I know I'm going to get there. Truly, we're sharing the same road, lets get to the goals with one another!

Become the happy you want to feel at the end of your journey.
  • johndu41
    johndu41 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey, Scotland here...happy to add you
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Make the most of this community, I find a lot of support and inspiration here.

I'm always looking for new recipes and workouts too, specifically strength training. :-)
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Feel free to add me if you wish - I'm quite a bit older than you, but I'm a married mum in the UK, and we do seem to have a few things in common - I have also been caught up in yo-yo dieting since my very early teens, and although I eat quite healthily most of the time, I know I'm still consuming too many calories! I have tried Slimming World in the past, but I think I took their invitation to eat as much as you want a bit too literally!! :| I had some success with it, but not as much as you (well done!).

I have been trying to get a bit more into exercise (or at least being more active) over the last year or two - but nothing too drastic! :D I also have a few stone to lose, and it feels like a long haul.

I may not always set the best example to others on here, but I think my MFP friends find me fairly supportive!

Best wishes anyway!

• itstimetobefabulous1983
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you so much for replying! I have added you and looking forward to sharing my journey with you all, and vice versa xxxx :)
  • jennnco
    jennnco Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Add me everyone for a supportive active friend
  • mindstar1
    mindstar1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I just started here.
  • KimboSlimbo40
    KimboSlimbo40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I've just re-joined so looking for new friends. I'm 40 with a 7 year old son and from the UK. Have lost 8lb so far with another 2.5 stone to go. Also looking to start Couch 2 5k so we could motivate each other to get out there!
  • justinefen
    justinefen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in a similar position to you, I'm in my 2nd year at uni with 2 kids and I'm starting the c25k this week. If you want some aupport on your journey feel free to add me