Help with Maintenance

Options
Hello.
I have been struggling with anorexia nervosa for the past 6 years. I am recognizing that I can no longer live like this, and I am making a change by committing to eat 1500/1600 calories everyday. I currently eat around 1050 calories, but maintained on 1200 in the past. I am 5'5, 19 years old, and 114 pounds. I would like to maintain my weight, but I am scared what will happen if I increase my calories to around 1500 or 1600. I am sedentary, and the only exercise I do is walking to class on a small campus. Thank you!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I know that you know that we don't know anything about your situation. I think it's great that you are thinking about your own health at your age. Great time to develop whatever healthy habits you set your mind to (never too early, never too late)!

I encourage you to think about your whole life, not just the food. Think about what you want to be like, what do you want to be able to do, what skills do you want. Engross yourself in your physical and mental well being as well as building your skills and abilities. Try new things regularly.

As for the food: Seek professional advice, if you haven't. Broaden your palette. Learn to shop and cook. Learn to enjoy food with others.

May your life become so full that you have little time for worry!
  • gvizzle74
    gvizzle74 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories gradually and get your body used to more. There might be initial water weight gain but it'll be temporary. You need to add a few hundred cals until you are eating 1600. There's no way that 1600 is even your maintenance cals given your height, possibly you'll end up finding you can maintain on 2000+.

Her maintenance calories would be >2,000 if she was moderately active. She will be closer to 1,600 at sedentary
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    gvizzle74 wrote: »
    Increase your calories gradually and get your body used to more. There might be initial water weight gain but it'll be temporary. You need to add a few hundred cals until you are eating 1600. There's no way that 1600 is even your maintenance cals given your height, possibly you'll end up finding you can maintain on 2000+.

Her maintenance calories would be >2,000 if she was moderately active. She will be closer to 1,600 at sedentary

I was going by my own stats, I'm only 5ft 2, maintenance for me is 1950-2000 cals at lightly active, if I was sedentary I would maintain on 1600. OP is taller so she will burn more than me even at sedentary.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Try Kevin Hall's body weight tracker. Works so far so good for me. Cheers!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is such a serious and difficult issue. Are you working with a counsellor and a dietician to help you with this great decision to take back your life?
  • SaraBrinksey9
    SaraBrinksey9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    gvizzle74 wrote: »

What do you define as moderately active?