different exercise, same benefits???

Options
Hey-
Does anyone know if say for instance you walk 4 miles at an incline and burn 470 calories, or you jog two miles and burn 470 calories.....Are you receiving the same benefits for weight loss and toning?

Thanks, I appreciate any advice!
Melissa

Replies

• mbaker1169
    mbaker1169 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey-
    Does anyone know if say for instance you walk 4 miles at an incline and burn 470 calories, or you jog two miles and burn 470 calories.....Are you receiving the same benefits for weight loss and toning?

Thanks, I appreciate any advice!
    Melissa
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I believe you get the same effects from both. My personal preference would be jogging because it's much harder pushing yourself along the road than it is being assisted by a machine. In jogging you'll get a better cardio workout and really force your lungs to suck in more oxygen than on a treadmill. The negatives about road work is that it's not good for the knees and you may have to fend off stray dogs.

Other than that I believe both are equal in toning and weight loss.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    My opinion (read, not science, just gut feeling) - same weight loss, different toning. Incline will strengthen different muscles.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, probably, toneing, probably not. you will probably tone your legs a little more with jogging, even with the incline, course it depends on the incline and how hard you jog...etc.

Jogging uses different muscle groups then walking with incline. Well, most of the groups are the same, but jogging uses some additional ones and walking with incline uses some of those muscles differently.

One thing to remember, jogging, no matter how good your shoes, is a much higher impact. If you have any kind of lower back or joint issues, it may become a problem (or arthritis).
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I believe you get the same effects from both. My personal preference would be jogging because it's much harder pushing yourself along the road than it is being assisted by a machine. In jogging you'll get a better cardio workout and really force your lungs to suck in more oxygen than on a treadmill. The negatives about road work is that it's not good for the knees and you may have to fend off stray dogs.

Other than that I believe both are equal in toning and weight loss.

LOL! your a hoot rheston! Oh, one upside to a treadmill is that they are usually cushioned, much easier on the knees to jog on. But the lack of scenery can be a big bore sometimes!
  • mbaker1169
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate the help!
  • krazykayzy
    krazykayzy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If you're jogging then watch what your heart rate is doing.....cardio activity burns sugar...not fat. It uses your immediate sugar stores (ie whatever you had for breakfast) and burns it to maintain your strenuous activity. So depending on how fast you are walking or jogging (determined by your heart rate) will either give you a cardiovascular workout or weight loss by burning fat.

As for toning, try doing some low-weight high-rep strength training.

Less intense exercise is more effective to lose weight/burn fat. Walking, SLOW jogging or SLOW stationary bicycling for 45 -60 minutes creates a slow but steady demand in your body for more energy and your body then taps into its fat stores for fuel.

Hope this helps you a little....if I post information like this it's because I've done my research either through books, or the internet. I don't usually just pull things out of a hat:wink: However I'm not a regestered anything so please don't take anything I say as the truth......:happy: (Although it does make sense to me)
  • joanne123
    Options
    Less intense exercise is more effective to lose weight/burn fat. Walking, SLOW jogging or SLOW stationary bicycling for 45 -60 minutes creates a slow but steady demand in your body for more energy and your body then taps into its fat stores for fuel.

Oh, that's really interesting and something I hadn't thought of, thanks
    :smile:
  • mbaker1169
    Options
    If you're jogging then watch what your heart rate is doing.....cardio activity burns sugar...not fat. It uses your immediate sugar stores (ie whatever you had for breakfast) and burns it to maintain your strenuous activity. So depending on how fast you are walking or jogging (determined by your heart rate) will either give you a cardiovascular workout or weight loss by burning fat.

As for toning, try doing some low-weight high-rep strength training.

Hope this helps you a little....if I post information like this it's because I've done my research either through books, or the internet. I don't usually just pull things out of a hat:wink: However I'm not a regestered anything so please don't take anything I say as the truth......:happy: (Although it does make sense to me)

This is really helpful! Thank you Krazykay!