Good beginner workout programs??

Options
I'm currently looking for a program to start. I've been doing Walk Away the Pounds, but I'm looking for something to do in addition to that. I'm very inexperienced with different types of programs and there are so many available. What do you guys think would be a good starting point?

Replies

• rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you get a stepper. And start off with Gin Miller's Everybody Steps! Its a great beginner step workout that you will truly enjoy.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I started with walking, and then added two minute jogging intervals. After a week or so of that, I started Couch to 5K. I also do Zumba (on the Wii) and some strength training (I bought some soft weights that came with a DVD). Do something you'll think is fun!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you are thinking about purchasing a DVD workout, I highly recommend Power 90 (not to be confused by the much more intimidating P90X!) You alternate two videos - cardio and strength - both are less tan 40 minutes. My husband and I did it and in the 90 days I lost 17lbs and my husband lost 23lbs not to mention the numerous inches we lost! Best investment I ever made to kick starting my weight loss!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I would start with something like Jillians 30 Day Shred. I say this because Insanity or P90X tends to be pretty advanced where Jillian has modified versions of her workouts. Zumba would be great too!
  • jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Find something you LOVE! And people to do it with. Something that you can stick with and be challenged by. I've been kickboxing for over 6 years now, and still do it 5-7 times a week!
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Try Beachbody's programs, they have different types of workouts for different fitness levels.

www.beachbody.com
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    exercise tv/ Leslie Sansone She has walking DVD's for like $1.99. The 1 mile walk is really great for beginners.
  • Rainbow011
    Rainbow011 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I never heard 'walking off the pounds'. I assume it involves walking!!!! I'm not sure about exercise DVDs either as I've never used one. I would recommend interval training....basically walking say 3 mins then jog for 1 min then walk 3 mins and so on. If your not sure just look up internal training on the internet. You can adapt the timing and jog speed to suit you. It's great exercise and you can make tougher as you become fitter.
  • stephmn
    stephmn Posts: 18
    Options
    Think about getting a NetFlix subscription and trying out a bunch of different workout routines through there before you invest in the DVDs. They're getting more and more DVD options and even a few available through their streaming subscription.

Otherwise, I'm huge fan of the Jillian Michaels DVDs... Strong Body, Ageless Body with Erin O'Brien is another awesome DVD.
  • lazatin
    lazatin Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I started with Walk Away the Pounds and then moved to JM Shred..It was hard but it really kicked started my weight lose and inches...17 pounds and 25 inches during the video and I did it on about 32 days..
  • caylre
    caylre Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!! I love the Leslie Sansone videos and have been using them for awhile. I recently began the Advanced videos, but wanted to break the routine a little. I have a lot of things to look at now, thanks for all the suggestions!!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've bought a Leslie Sansone dvd and hopefully I will arrive today.......I've also just bought Wii Just Dance....once my Wii remote is charged then so will I.............
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started with the biggest loser bootcamp dvd. It has three levels to build up to and it was good for a little while than I could easily do it without sweating.
    Ive moved onto Turbo Fire from Beach Body...LOVE IT!!!!!!! kicks my butt and its a different dvd each day so I am not bored with it like I was BL bootcamp.