Truth or Not?

Options
So I have heard that if you drink half of your body weight in fluid ounces (water of course) that you will lose some weight each week. I've been going strong for a few days now drinking 140 ounces of water a day and I do not know if I am actually getting any benefits from it. Has anyone heard of this or done it?

Replies

• ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yup
    so long as you are still eating the recommended calories via healthy food choices, it seems to make a difference for me.
    if i drink too little water my loss slows down. (for me i need approx 12 glasses a day)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It certainly has helped me.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The reason why water helps you lose weight is because:

1. More water in = More water out = Less water retention
    2. You aren't drinking other things like sodas, juices, etc., so there is a calorie deficit right there by just drinking water.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    kudos to you! i find it hard to drink water... my water usually has a little lemon or lime juice in it or i've been drinking green tea with no sugar/honey or lemon or anything in it. it zero's out just like water so i count that as my water.
  • PaulaAnn143
    Options
    holy thats a lot of water! U must spend half the day in the bathroom! lol! If you are losing weight because of it , it is prob because you are so busy tring to drink the water you are eating less calories.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for about a year.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Fact: You need to stay properly hydrated to mobilize fat, glycogen and other nutrients in the body

Myth: Any specific number told anywhere.....the human body comes in all shapes and forms and each body needs different amounts of anything. There is no ultimate "true" number, but you can use it as a guideline and from there find out what YOU need to function optimally.

Bonus info: To check if you are properly hydrated the easiest way is to look at the color of your urine. It should be almost color- and odorless.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    wow, that seems likea lot of water to me... i'm 196 so 50% is 98 which is 3 litres.... i'd be peeing for england
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure you are also eating a healthy diet and exercising... you cant just drink the water and continue an unhealthy lifestyle and expect to lose weight. But yes, drinking plenty of water helps your body flush the fat that you do burn out of your system and keeps you from retaining excess water by keeping sodium flushed out.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fact: You need to stay properly hydrated to mobilize fat, glycogen and other nutrients in the body

Myth: Any specific number told anywhere.....the human body comes in all shapes and forms and each body needs different amounts of anything. There is no ultimate "true" number, but you can use it as a guideline and from there find out what YOU need to function optimally.

Bonus info: To check if you are properly hydrated the easiest way is to look at the color of your urine. It should be almost color- and odorless.

THIS. This is all you need to know. I don't go by a specific number of ounces for my water, I just make sure that my urine is always almost colorless.
  • o0Amanda0o
    o0Amanda0o Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! ^^