Runners, heel toe? Or toe heel?

Options
Question for my fellow runners. I'm still a beginner to this running and my boyfriend used to be a track star. He's started running with me in a walk/jog and told me that he's always been told for years that you're supposed to land on your toe first when running, instead of landing on heel. Now this had me extra confused because I always thought when you run you're supposed to land on your heel first.....he's got killer calves and I'm assuming its from this because he does absolutely NO other kind of workout (punk) lol So what are your thoughts on this? Because I've tried it both ways, usually land on heel when doing a slower jog and toes when doing a faster run....HELP!

Signed,
Confused runner :huh:

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It's all about what's comfortable for you. As an athlete when I was MUCH smaller (weight wise), I used to run on my toes or the balls of my feet, but eventually developed shin splints. When I picked up running again after my hip surgery, at a significantly heavier weight than when I first started running many years ago, I did what I'd always done: toe-heel. And I got shin splints. My advice? Heel-toe. It's better on the calves/shins and will most likely feel much more comfortable in the long run (no pun intended).
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If you are running track, maybe land on your toes, but if you are running for distance land mid-foot. It's the part of the foot that absorbs all of that force the best anyways. Landing on your heel is a no-no.

Sub 6 minute mile here.

run5.jpg
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Land on the forefoot. Then as your heel comes down it "smoothes out" the impact.

This is one of the main reasons there's a barefoot/minimalist running craze going on, because when you're barefoot you do this naturally (otherwise you'd be slamming the hell out of your heels). But you don't HAVE to be be barefoot to do this; just concentrate on your form, and soon it will become second nature.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Proper form is to land in the middle/front of your foot (closer to behind your toes?). Heel toe can cause a lot of injuries (knee, shin splints, etc.) If you google "proper running form" - there's some great videos out there than can show you if it sounds weird.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to run on your toes. For any run. That is why so many of these new shoes they've come out with are made they way they are to teach you to run on your toes.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been running for 2 years now and I have always been told that you should run toe heel.... but my body just won't do it. I personally run only on the balls of my feet.

DO NOT run heel toe, you will be "heel striking" which will mess up your knees, hips, back and is terrible for your joints.

Hope this helps
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Land on the forefoot. Then as your heel comes down it "smoothes out" the impact.

This is one of the main reasons there's a barefoot/minimalist running craze going on, because when you're barefoot you do this naturally (otherwise you'd be slamming the hell out of your heels). But you don't HAVE to be be barefoot to do this; just concentrate on your form, and soon it will become second nature.

this ^

and shin splints are usually caused by your shoes not fitting you properly not the placement of your foot when running. Bottom line, go to a running shoe store to get fitted for shoes. You can ask them the heel/toe toe/heel question and they'll tell you toe/heel :-)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Toe to heel is better for your muscles - this is how barefoot runners and really fast runners run. It definitely helps with speed and helps build up the muscles in your ankles and calves. If you're a heel to toe runner, however, it may be really hard to make the transition. Do whatever feels comfortable to you. If you want to make the transition, go for it!
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am partial to midfoot/front of foot strike, roll to toe and push off...if you land on your heel you are slowing your stride down and "pulling" your self forward. It is better to propel yourself forward...more power, more speed, better form, fewer injuries
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
  • jaybee25
    jaybee25 Posts: 117
    Options
    Nice good question I nver thought about it untill you posted this I too am a beginner and so I found it rather interestining and actually had to get up and try it to see what I do...I land on heel....so now I know that is a no no I tried (just in my lounge) the forefoot thing and it actually lfeels better ...will try it again when I am actually outside...start my half marathon trainning on Monday ....breaking it down to a 5k goal as 1st goal :)
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going to have to "test" myself next time I run (tomorrow). I am also a beginner and never knew that heel first was wrong. Probably a good reason why my shins hurt?? I also need new running shoes since this is completely new for me and I didn't realize I would love it so much!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome aka. "Shin Splints" is caused by a variety of reasons, not just shoes. Here are just a few of them:

Old/ ill-fitted shoes
    Heel striking
    Under-conditioned calf muscles (weak)
    Running on hard surfaces (concrete sidewalks)
    Running too far too soon (Main Reasons most people get them)
    Running much faster than before too soon

In the end, most root problems come down to too much trauma on the muscles on the front of the lower leg before they are conditioned to take the abuse. In most cases, just slowing down and resting more will prevent or resolve the issue.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Don't heel strike. It's tough if you're not used to running from mid foot to toe but it's doable. I've been working on my form the last few runs and it makes a difference.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It can't be said enough, do not heel strike.

Mid or fore foot strike is optimal. Sometimes they can be one in the same depending on the person describing it.

Besides running barefoot, one of the ways to keep from heel striking is take short choppy strides. Do not try to over stride.
  • cindaboo1
    cindaboo1 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your advice!!! This has truly helped me out ALOT!!!!! Happy Running!!! :glasses: