Disordered eating habits

Options
I’m quickly losing hope, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to lose weight. Something must be wrong with me because I can’t stay under my calories for one day without binging and wanting to purge and restrict. I keep gaining weight. I feel hopeless and embarrassed of myself. I’m desperate for any advice.

Replies

• abel12mfp
    abel12mfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also think your daily deficit may be too aggressive, at least that is what contributed to binges for me in the past. As soon as I started fuelling myself more, I gained a better control over binge eating. Just a thought and what worked for me. I know how hard the battle is x
  • farmgirlonpark
    farmgirlonpark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been there, more than likely will be again. If I think about the things that have made the most sense to me just lately, I can share the following for your consideration.
    - Get in the headspace of having already met your goal. Visualize it, feel it, meditate on it, celebrate it, then hold on to that joy and love you deserve now. Beating ourselves up is counter productive and sometimes I think we do it because we think we’ll motivate ourselves with it but I’ve never been able to make that work for me.
    - this is an insightful article and video on food addiction - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-overcome-food-addiction
    - this was helpful to use in the moment when I denied a craving/urge - https://medium.com/the-mission/here-are-5-ways-to-face-your-demons-and-free-yourself-from-the-pain-of-the-past-a8c8fccbdd04
    - I’m also an advocate of counseling but am currently going it independently.
    You will get your feet back under you and will be on your way again. All the best to you.
  • samcskelton
    samcskelton Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I understand and am right there with you. I’ve been struggling with disordered eating since high school. To think it’s been 6 years from when it started and I’m only 20. I know there are a bunch of health risks, I just can’t seem to stop myself.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, please please please try to find a therapist who has experience treating people with disordered eating. While I am more than aware that there's a lot of stigma just about everywhere about seeing a therapist, it doesn't make you somehow weak or unable to deal with your own problems.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I’m quickly losing hope, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to lose weight. Something must be wrong with me because I can’t stay under my calories for one day without binging and wanting to purge and restrict. I keep gaining weight. I feel hopeless and embarrassed of myself. I’m desperate for any advice.

Is your calorie goal too low? How tall are you, how much do you have to lose before you reach your goal weight, and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

When I had around 60 pounds to lose, I started off with the two pounds per week goal and realized after lunch that this was not going to give me a sustainable amount of calories. Under-eating can definitely lead to binging.

However, your issue sounds somewhat more serious than just needing to adjust your calories up. I found cognitive behavioral therapy extremely helpful when I abused alcohol, and a lot of the tips and techniques work for issues with food as well.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Stay strong, this battle isn't over.

Relating might not be a good thing to do right now, but logging my food actually improved my relationship with food. Before when losing weight I stuck to a small variety and got bored and unhappy. Now, I know I can still eat the foods I loved (and still love) as long as I'm within my calories. I eat foods that I thought were "unhealthy" now, and haven't experienced weight gain because I balance what I eat and burn.

Please seek help from a doctor or trained professional. Remember, disordered eating can happen to anyone at any size, don't give in to this new obstacle!