In need of motivation and tips to stay on track...

Options
Hey, I'm somewhat new to MFP and came here mainly for support and to meet others with the same goals in mind. I am a full time college student and find it hard to find the time to diet and exercise on a regular basis. I am at about 140 lbs right now and am looking to lose anywhere from 10-20lbs because my clothes are slowly shrinking on me and I have absolutely no desire to go buy bigger ones. I have been doing 30 Day Shred for about a week and a half now but have already missed 4 days here and there. I would like to be able to do it everyday but am having a hard time motivating myself after a long day of work. Anyone have anything that keeps them motivated on a day to day basis or any advice for me?

Replies

• willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try and find a work out partner. Nothing like someone kicking you in the butt to get you going.
    Either that, or make some friends here. I am new myself here, but this seems like a great place for support. Lots of good people.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Try and find a work out partner. Nothing like someone kicking you in the butt to get you going.
    Either that, or make some friends here. I am new myself here, but this seems like a great place for support. Lots of good people.

Agreed. I'm not new, but it is ok to be obsessed with MFP because it keeps you accountable and you'll make good supporting friends!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little weird, but I find that eating & snacking regularly really helps me (on healthy stuff, of course! Nuts, hard-boiled eggs, etc). If I get hungry or let my blood sugar get too low, I am more likely to make bad choices. Either by choosing not to exercise, or by choosing to eat something unhealthy. If I go more than three or four hours without eating something, I get tired & cranky & don't wanna exercise (whine...), but if I make sure & keep my blood sugar & metabolism steady / level, I can stay motivated & make better choices.

Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • getnfitn2011
    Options
    Following the trend of wisdom I say get a buddy too. My husband and I are starting P90X today as a couple. It works out really well because we push eachother and it is also a bonding thing...sounds weird by sweating it out and giving eachother a well earned high five is the stuff that is like glue, at least in my relationship (granted that sounds strange but ya know!) Fine a partner (and honest one that will tell you to get moving even when you don't feel like it!) I hope this helps and you journey is blessed!
    Misty
  • CurvyFresherFC
    CurvyFresherFC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I'm new on here, but have been a size 14-16 for a while but my weight has escalated from 11 stone to 13 - this is 180 pounds, which I weight now. I start university (hopefully) in September and so could I recommend that you make use of the gym facilities, if your uni/college has one? Just nip in three times a week or something, for 30 mins, and hop on the treadmill, cross trainer and weights - all for ten minutes each. It doesn't take long! :)

However, in terms of keeping myself motivated, I slip here very badly. I hate constricting my diet and so will try to exercise so much more when I get to uni; making use of my gym will also help me meet new people! :) However, advice for you:

You could try and join a track team, or a swimming team.. These extra-curricular activities also help you make new social circles! In terms of eating habits, try to log onto MFP every day to keep yourself going! And a cheeky snack I always have are carrot sticks and cucumber, as these have virtually no calories, and keep me going from meal to meal. Additionally, cuppa soup is also really comforting and fills you for a bit if you're feeling tired or nauseous, especially in the winter!

Also, try and plan your meals, this way you can look forward to a "baked potato with light butter and beans" when you get home from work, rather than aimlessly searching for whatever you have in your fridge. It helps keep you on track eating-wise too. Anyway, good luck, and try to stick to coming on here for ten minutes every night. The people here are very supportive and you'll find yourself motivated much more by logging on every day. other people's success stories inspire me, and keep me going. Good luck on your journey :D
  • johanna023
    johanna023 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for giving such great advice! Just knowing that I can post my thoughts at anytime and get any number of responses makes me feel very suported which definitely will help stay on track when I'm having an off day.