Anyone have any ACTUALLY tasty but healthy recipes??

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I mean does anyone have any foods that taste good, like really good, a lowfat version of steak and potoates or burgers or french fries??
    Im sick of googling and asking people for healthy recipes and i get some kale salad recipe or some bland chicken with carrots on the side or some fcking cauliflower pizza(?

Just eat them in portion sizes that fit in your calorie allowance. I regularly have pizza at the weekend: made from scratch and coming in under 700 cals. Not low fat/low carb, but then I can’t be doing with restrictive diets. Life’s too short and I like food.

It’s easy enough to get lean cuts of meat. Oven bake your potatoes/chips with only a tiny amount of oil. Use spices for flavour. Side salads and steamed veg to balance your meals.

If a product is naturally high in fat then the low fat version has either been dicked about with, or doesn’t exist. That’s why people have decided that cauliflower make a pizza base. I’d rather have a fresh thin crust stuffed with the evils that are gluten and carbs. Topped with the also evil fat-rich Gorgonzola.

And why the *kitten* would you not when you can fit that in your calorie allowance?

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    You can eat steak and burgers. I mean what is it about them that you find unhealthy? I love burgers, my husband makes the best burgers. It’s just ground beef on a bun. With toppings. Steak is steak lol. You can’t really modify that. I don’t eat French fries at home because they’re a pain to make but I do eat mashed potatoes and baked potatoes...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are a meat and potatoes kind of gal, run with that. Get yourself a silicon pastry brush to control how much oil or butter you put on your potatoes. Garlic adds flavour without fat.

Presidents Choice sirloin burgers are pretty low fat and tasty too. Season with soy sauce and pepper.

Measure three cloves of minced garlic, two teaspoons of oil, fresh ground pepper 1/4 tsp salt and two cups of baby potatoes or any other combination of root vegetables cut in one inch cubes, in to a plastic bag. Twist closed and shake the bag to coat evenly. Lay out on a cookie tray and roast until done in a 350 degree oven until done. Start checking at 20 mins.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    Thai Beef Salad - couldn't get less bland!

This left out the cayenne and paprika. I can write out the directions for the dressing if anyone is interested. (For example, the second rice is rice that was toasted and then ground.) It was adapted from https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/6601-thai-grilled-beef-salad

lkr15b28c5ss.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I mean does anyone have any foods that taste good, like really good, a lowfat version of steak and potoates or burgers or french fries??
    Im sick of googling and asking people for healthy recipes and i get some kale salad recipe or some bland chicken with carrots on the side or some fcking cauliflower pizza(?

I have bigger salads and less steak & potatoes than my OH, who is not trying to lose weight. This time of year through when it gets cold again I have burger on a salad, no bun.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Fish or shrimp tacos or lettuce wraps. Use whole grains instead of refined. Add beans to some of your dishes, basically try to up the fiber on your recipes. I’m also a fan of just about any veggies roasted. I agree with what many pp say about a lot of variation on what people consider healthy and tasty. Cooking Light has a lot of good recipes, it’s worth checking out for some fresh ideas.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options

Trim the fat from your steak, marinate in ginger and lime juice for 30-45 minutes, throw it on the grill. While the steak is marinating, bake potatoes on the grill. Throw broccoli on the grill just before you take the steak off. Stuff the potatoes with the broccoli and sprinkle lightly with grated parmesan or asiago.
  • gravittation
    gravittation Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Carrot "fries" are supper tasty. Cut the carrots like fries, a little oil and salt, cook in the oven.
    I'll vouch for cauliflower rice too, it's not like the other cauliflower substitutes, it's actually really good.
    Add spices. Spices are so good for you and so tasty. Nothing has to be bland with a good selection of spices on hand. And if you like lemon or lime, you can add a squeeze of juice or some zest to get a nice oomph.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

The easiest way to match your interpretation of "foods that taste good" would be to cook the things you really like,
    with just one minor change:
    Cut down the portion-size to mirror your remaining calorie-budget.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    if i want a burger ... i eat a burger. they are not unhealthy.

everything i make is healthy and good. im a damned good cook. i dont add extra butter or fats. vegetable servings are well seasoned and fill half my plate the majority of the time. i watch portion sizes.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Maybe the problem isn't that you are getting bad recipe suggestions but that you're not specific for what kind of recipes you want. The recipes other people gave to you may be fabulous for them. They might really love that bland chicken and kale with side of cauliflower pizza. My recommendation is to look at what you already and eat and enjoy and make small changes to make them healthier or eat what you love, just eat within your calorie balance. Or...exercise enough that you can eat foods you love while still losing weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Carrot fries are carrots. Not a replacement for fries. Cauliflower rice too: it’s cauliflower, not rice.

It’s like the eejit who sliced up a whole cauliflower and called it cauliflower steak, as replacement for a juicy beef steak.

Utter madness.

this! I like cauliflower, I like carrots - but I don't want to substitute them for rice or fries
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Totally agree @deannalfisher

Nowt wrong with them as veg, they just aren’t substitutes for the things people claim.

Carrot fries :|
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Maybe the problem isn't that you are getting bad recipe suggestions but that you're not specific for what kind of recipes you want. The recipes other people gave to you may be fabulous for them. They might really love that bland chicken and kale with side of cauliflower pizza. My recommendation is to look at what you already and eat and enjoy and make small changes to make them healthier or eat what you love, just eat within your calorie balance. Or...exercise enough that you can eat foods you love while still losing weight.

This^

Find ways to tweak your own recipes.

Look at websites like Skinny Taste and Cooking Light. Find a favorite (like fries). Then take suggestions from that recipe.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-texas-cheese-fries/

My favorite pizza recipe (contains no cauliflower). I use a simple homemade crust (I use a recipe from Fleischmann's pizza yeast) roll it thin - slather with Pastorelli pizza sauce - add turkey pepperoni - veggies and 2% cheese. Baked on a stone, this is really delicious.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Adding contrasting or complimentary seasonings can punch up any dish for almost no calories. For ease of use, you can get a good garam masala and just throw some in. Spicy is almost always low cal (either hot sauce or hot peppers). Fresh garlic, ginger, any kind of herbs (dill, thyme, sage, etc - fresh or dried) are all easy ways to completely change and enhance the flavor of whatever you’re making. When in doubt, salt and pepper are staples for a reason.

Adding a heavy dose of seasoning to even bland foods can completely change them and make them delicious. Also, if you don’t care about high sodium, fish sauce can make almost anything taste delicious.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love Skinnytaste too.

Honestly, for example, their turkey meatloaf - it's my go-to recipe now. I had some 85% ground beef the other day and put half of that in it, and it didn't add anything to the taste - just made it more calorie dense.

Same with chicken parm or whatnot... if you roll your chicken in egg then breadcrumbs, and bake it, it's still good, and really not that many more calories per serving.

Homemade fries that are baked with just a bit of oil are really tasty too - often tastier than the fried stuff for me.

For beef, buy lower fat ground beef, or trim as much fat as possible (although it's very hard to get ALL the fat out depending on the cut, so it's always a bit of a guess calorie-wise).

I only buy chicken or turkey sausage now too.

So you can make tasty meals without all the calories, it just takes some work (as opposed to take out and fast food, obviously).
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I have a mashed potato recipe thats lower in calories compared to the traditional milk and butter mashed potatoes.
    Use chicken broth and fat free cream cheese to make them creamy. Season how you like. Salt and pepper always work and rosemary goes good with this too if you like it.
    I originally started making them this way when my Dad had gallstones and was waiting on surgery to get gall bladder removed. I was looking for something that still tasted good but with low enough fat that it didn't cause him gall bladder pain. It worked! I've been making them that way ever since. I have a large family and mashed potatoes is always one of my assignments for holiday meals, and they get eaten every time.