Embarrassing question but have to ask. Sweat smelling much worse than it used to, why?

Options
I started mfp about 2 weeks ago. At that point I changed some eating habits, and added a bootcamp three mornings a week, and extra martial arts class once a week. I have noticed recently that my sweat has changed. It seems like it's more, but more importantly it seems like it really smells worse! It's embarrassing!

I do have some extra stress in my life, but nothing so much I would think that would change my sweat drastically. I am 43 so possibly hormone changes, but again not drastic symptoms of that for me to think that's really the cause.

Could it just be clean eating causing this? Thoughts? Anyone else in the same boat? Appreciate any feedback

Replies

• SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I’d advise going to see a medical professional if you’re concerned, but I’d say that even what could be considered a slight change of hormones can do weird things to your body.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever read about sweat changing smell is for people who have changed their diet to keto and the ketones have a distinctive smell, if that's not the case, then maybe do see someone. Or read on and see if anyone else comes up with something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is it an ammonia smell?

https://www.muscletalk.co.uk/m/tm.aspx?m=2731189&p=1

Increase your carb intake.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is it a sweetish smell? It could be ketones or high blood sugar.

You could get your A1C tested.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Some stress could be part of it. Adding in a new exercise routine could be an added stress, I suppose. If that's it, the change in body odor could be transitory as your body gets used to it. If you've added more spice and garlic to your diet, that could be it. Have you changed medications? Are you drinking more water? (You should) Try swapping out your normal deodorant and bath soap for something else.

Even if you think it's probably due to your change in habits in the last two weeks, I'd go see a doctor. Other possible causes for change in body odor include diabetes and overactive thyroid.

You're not alone in this. A couple months ago, I developed a change in sweat odor but only under one armpit! I thought that was pretty weird. I went to the doctor, who noticed the beginning of a rash under that arm. I'm now into the second month of an antibiotic to clear up the rash, and the odor problem has disappeared.

By the way, you're probably the only one aware of this. I thought I really stunk, but my husband said he noticed no change.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you eating more garlic or cruciferous veggies (cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc.)? Some of the compounds in those and other foods are excreted in your sweat.

It could also be that you're sweating more now that you're exercising more, and so you could be noticing odor that you just didn't notice before.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When you switched to clean eating the toxins started leaching out and leaving your body through your sweat glands which is why......hah hah sorry I can't keep that up, just kidding.

Yeah its probably something to do with changing your macro balance especially if by "clean eating" you mean you decided to go low carb high protein.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    When you switched to clean eating the toxins started leaching out and leaving your body through your sweat glands which is why......hah hah sorry I can't keep that up, just kidding.

Always loved watching House. But I'm not a doctor so I really didn't know how idiotic some of the things on the show were.
  • kiddosmama2012
    kiddosmama2012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ack! Had a whole response but it didn't post. Trying again!

No new medications, but my kids do seem to be battling a bit of a virus, maybe my body is trying to fight it? Also do not get enough water it's been on my mind to correct that. Didn't think about it affecting sweat smell. LOL

I've tried to cut down on carbs significantly and eat more protein, but I don't know what's enough to say high-protein low carb diet. If that makes any sense? My last few recipes have had more Spice in them, which is another thing I did not consider.

Oh, and my husband definitely noticed. Lol thanks for all the responses! Going to give it another week and see what happens.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Always loved watching House. But I'm not a doctor so I really didn't know how idiotic some of the things on the show were.

Haven't watched the show and I'm not a medical doctor anyways so I wouldn't know either. Can say though that if there is ever any depiction of things remotely related to my field on TV or movies they are pretty ridiculous. I imagine that is true of most things. Media tends to represent things the way the public imagines them rather than how they actually are. The depiction of biosafety levels in the opening scene of the movie Outbreak comes to mind. Honestly it is hard for me to believe that even a laymen bothering to think about what is on the screen wouldn't see why it is silly. Also I don't think I've ever seen an actual lab that has a bunch of colored liquids sitting in glass flasks on a shelf but they are in every TV and movie lab ever.