type II diabetes

Options
I'm trying to control my blood sugars through diet. Want to avoid going on medication if at all possible. I was able to do it three years ago, but then got lax and didn't monitor my blood. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older and it won't be possible through diet alone. Anyone having the same problem? Appreciate your input.

Replies

• netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've had some success taking D-Chiro Inositol as i have a bad time with metformin. It lowers my blood sugar by several points and keeps my blood pressure down too. Worth researching... You'll find a lot of women with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome use it, and DCI is all natural.
  • waterjogger
    Options
    I was able to control mine for awhile without meds but eventually they got too high. They started out with Metformin but it wasn't working so now I'm on Janumet (Januvia/Metformin) and it seems to be working fairly well. Try checking out Carb Counting-that is what my nutritionist recommended to help me control mine. Exercise also helps keep mine low, and of course the more weight I lose the lower the blood sugars and blood pressure. Don't mess around with high blood pressure and blood sugars-it can do serious damage if you let it go too long.
  • Glasses01
    Glasses01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I already take quite a few supplements and vitamins. I'll look this up and take it to my next appt. Thanks the reply
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Check out dlife.com It has helped me lose 30 lbs and my blood sugar is great now.
  • Glasses01
    Glasses01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you had any side effects from the med? Some of this medication makes you gain weight, the farthest thing I want to have happen.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    From D-Chiro Inositol? The first three days you may get a little light-headed: I did, but kept checking my bloods and blood pressure and they were in the normal range. I absolutely did NOT gain weight.

I didn't from metformin either though. My recommendation if you go down the metformin route is to gradually increase your dosage (which doctors always forget to tell you!) as it has loads of side effects, the worst (for me) being incredible stomach cramps and constant diahorrea. The way around this, is:

Week 1: Take half a tablet before bed
    Week 2: Half tablet before bed, and half at lunchtime
    Week 3: whole tablet before bed, half at lunchtime
    Week 4: half in the am, half at lunch, whole at bedtime
    Week 5: half in the am, whole at lunchtime, whole at bedtime
    Week 6: whole tablet 3 times per day.

This is assuming you are on 3 x per day. This is a safe and proven way to test where your tolerance level is. For me it was 1 whole tablet before bed and half at lunch. Eventually I stopped the half at lunch and switched to the D-Chiro Inositol instead. But everyone is different - you may be lucky and metformin may work for you with no side effects!