Just looking for some encouragement. I understand why

Options
ladybug4233
ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been on this journey since January 18th and I have lost an average of 1.5 calories a week. I reached my goal early and lost 20 pounds and added 10 more pounds to loose by June 6th. (going on a trip with the husband. So excited!!). I use a HR monitor when I exercise and use a pedometer to make sure I get my steps to stay in lightly active. I don't double dip. I use a food scale and weigh every single thing I eat. I have only gone over my calories on one day and it was only 115. I always have 300-400 left since I workout almost every day.

To my point, the last 7-10 days my weight has only fluctuated by .5 pounds. I have noticed two things. I have pushed myself harder at the gym and have been much more sore and I am walking more. Also not to be TMI but it is that time. So I am hoping to see a big woosh next week. I always feel motivated as a watch the scale go down so it is just a bit frustrating. Like I said I know the WHY just frustrating.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you're sore, you're likely retaining water. If it's TOM, you're likely retaining water. Just keep at it. It looks like you're doing everything right.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't let it frustrate you. Since you understand the 'why' I would think this would ease your mind more, the scale is never an indicator of success or failure, its one data point in the larger scheme of things.

A weight trending app would be extremely helpful to help weed all the fluctuations out if you weigh daily with these last 10 pounds.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on meeting your first goal!

Like you said, you know what's going on. Even if you hadn't been exercising and it wasn't TOM, though, a half pound fluctuation in a week is common. And if you're really close to your goal, then weight loss can happen VERY slowly. Your deficit just isn't as big as it used to be. All of that can be frustrating, but hopefully knowing what's going on will help.

There's a lot of patience needed for weight loss, especially as you get closer to your goal weight. A week can feel like a long time, but it's really not that long.

I would encourage not pressuring yourself to lose weight by a certain deadline. That just makes it harder to be patient, more tempting to do unhealthy things like undereating or exercising beyond your current capability, and more frustrating when weight loss works in its normal and nonlinear way. It also sets you up to feel bad if you lose 4 or 5 pounds in that time rather than 10, instead of being happy about the 4 or 5 pounds you did lose. And depending on your body, you may not look much different to most people if you lose another 10 pounds. Nothing bad will happen if you don't lose 10 pounds by June 6th. You'll still go on your trip and have a lovely time.

Just stay on track with what you're doing. You've already lost weight and you know how to do it.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've just doubled up my exercise and have gained two pounds this week. My thighs are sore from my three hour uphill hike yesterday, and the running I did the day before. Finally, this morning I found that I lost those two pounds and another 0.2 pounds. So I'm back to slowly losing weight and am on the right track. Frustrating, but it did help my mindset a little knowing the reason was most likely water retention. Hang in there!
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on meeting your first goal! I hope you have fun on your trip.

I always have to remind myself that weightloss isn't linear. When I stall out for a week or two it makes me feel better to look at my weight graph for the entire time I've been losing - I like seeing that overall downward trend, it's reassuring. Maybe print out a graph from January to now and remind yourself of the excellent progress you've made so far?
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You’re probably stronger and can do more at the gym from when you first started. Try and use this for motivation rather than just the #.