How to reup your motivation level

Options
So, I've been on a new me journey many times in my life. This last time began in Nov. 2017 with a trip to the doctor and some sad bloodwork. This is the first time I've been hyper-motivated to workout. I've been jogging and doing Max Challenge 4-5 days a week. I am mostly low carb, high fat for PCOS. This week I have just felt so unmotivated regarding food. Like the food prep etc. is annoying me and feels not worth it. How do you get out of this rut? I'm also running my first 5k on Saturday!

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you’ve been at it for 6 months, and losing steadily, you could try eating at maintenance for a couple weeks to kind of give yourself a break and then pick it back up then. Keep up the exercise if you enjoy it, but you can push pause on weight loss for a couple weeks if you think it would be helpful.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I find having a diet I really care about, meals I really look forward to, essential, in order to stick to my meal plan. I aim to include as much variety as possible, and make as simple meals as possible (I have a tendency to focus too much on details and trying to make it "perfect", so I have to be strict and stop myself from obsessing). So I couldn't, and wouldn't, do any crazy diets or elaborate meal prep. My advice would be look at what's necessary, and do that, then look at what's not necessary, but easy/fun/rewarding, and do that too, and then stop.
  • bduanemyfitness
    bduanemyfitness Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have all the motivation you need: 1) sad blood work from your MD, and 2) an short-term goal of running a 5K. Now you just need to move past the rut.

This stuff is easy/not easy on any given day. When I start to head towards the temptation of a rut (annoyed by food prep, trip to the gym or to the hills to hike), I just remind myself:
    1) my sketchy blood work. Well if food and exercise don't resolve it I may have to take meds the rest of my life.
    2) my goals:
    Backpacking in the Grand Canyon - less weight and physically fit make this much easier
    Backpacking with Boy Scouts in NM - ditto. And this old man does not want to be the last one to finish
    3) I always feel better after a hike or "good" meal...so just prep it or go hike
    4) Never beat myself up for a day off or a "cheat day".
    5) when all else fails, make a new short term goal (get out of bed?)

Look at your goals...better health is a great motivation.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you a story about what works for me.
    Backstory:
    Many years ago I used smokeless tobacco. My mother was in the hospital with cancer. I was there with her and she was sleeping. As I sat there I thought, "Here I am, watching my mother die of cancer. I am a college educated "intelligent" person, yet every day I put something in my mouth that may ultimately kill me." At that moment I threw the tobacco in the trash and have not used any since. It wasn't hard - I made a choice.

I'm agreeing with the idea in the link about the myth of motivation.

Not long ago I had a similar epiphany about my weight. I had gone from being a fit and active person at a healthy weight to being an overweight and unfit person. I'm 57 years old.

I had a conversation with myself that was similar to the one about tobacco.
    I'm old enough to know what I should do. Recently I took a good look at myself - overweight and out of shape. I realized I had a choice: I could grow old and be unfit and unhealthy or I could chose to lose weight and regain fitness. I don't want to die early and be unhealthy, so I made a choice.

I chose to lose the weight. That means count the calories.
    I chose to regain fitness. That means move.

There are aches and pains. There are times I struggle. And????? So????
    We have free will. Chose.

I don't mean this to be harsh at all. Decide which version of you that you want to become. Make choices that move you in that direction.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    qandv9 wrote: »
    So, I've been on a new me journey many times in my life. This last time began in Nov. 2017 with a trip to the doctor and some sad bloodwork. This is the first time I've been hyper-motivated to workout. I've been jogging and doing Max Challenge 4-5 days a week. I am mostly low carb, high fat for PCOS. This week I have just felt so unmotivated regarding food. Like the food prep etc. is annoying me and feels not worth it. How do you get out of this rut? I'm also running my first 5k on Saturday!

Re: the bold above, I find NOT thinking about it and just doing it helps. I mean, I certainly like wearing clean clothes but that doesn't mean I have to be excited about doing laundry. I don't even think about how I feel about doing laundry; I just do it.

Buy your planned groceries. Prep your meals. Done. In the end, you'll be glad you did.

Good luck on the 5K!