Having my gallbladder removed

Options
Hey all!

I just found out that I will be needing to get my gallbladder out.

If other people have, do you have any recipes that keep the symptoms at bay until removal? How quickly were you able to start working out after? I read that a lot of people gain weight and that it is harder to reach your goal after gallbladder removal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that eating fat causes the most pain. avoid it as much as you can. Also, eat small meals, more often.
    I haven't had trouble losing weight since having mine removed (years and years ago) and I don't know anyone else who has either. I don't have any dietary issues either though - or none that I was aware of.
    your doctor will be able to tell you when you can workout again, and of course it depends on how intense your workouts are. If all you do is walk, you can do that right away by starting slow. If you powerlift... I'd wait a few weeks.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I've had my gallbladder out since 2008. My attacks were caused by heavy fast food so I stayed away from it. I didn't have trouble with weight gain after removal, my appetite remained the same. The only downside of not having a gallbladder is that if you eat too much fatty foods all at once you may get an upset stomach/diarrhea. I don't usually have a problem with this.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Ive had no problem after removal. Before high fat and dairy bothered me
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Before removal I ate a lot of rice cakes. It was the only thing I could eat without feeling like I was dying. I am losing weight just fine without my gallbladder 25lbs in 2.5 months. I eat basically what I want except spicy food makes me sick now. High fat foods can make me have an upset stomach at times.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add the first few weeks after removal stay away from high fat foods for sure. I ate pizza the day after surgery and it did not go well. You may be different but I say just eat lean foods for a little bit.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in 2006 in an emergency surgery from stones blocking it. I havent had any trouble losing weight after but at first i had 2 advoid dairy and rich fatty foods after because i got stomach pains. I think that was 4 the first year so now i just eat more health choices like baked versues fried and lowfat dairy . Good luck ! Wish you a successful surgery! If you want a new friend feel free 2 add me!
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 20+ years ago after eating a bunch of cashews. Quite possibly it was all that fat in the cashews that caused an attack. Thought I was dying!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Avoid very fatty things before your surgery. Fried foods gave me gallstone attacks. After surgery I was able to eat whatever I wanted, and was up and about within a day or two...but I was in my early 20s at the time, and I also didn't work out back then.

Weight gain and loss work exactly the same with a gallbladder as without one. I reached my highest weight after having my gallbladder out, and also reached my goal weight.
  • shirtswiththumbholes
    shirtswiththumbholes Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had mine out like 8 years ago and you'll find out right away the kinds of foods that hurt. I agree with everyone above - stick to lean foods for a while. Eventually you can eat whatever you want.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,506 Member
    Options
    I had mine out (laparoscopically) during weight loss. It had no effect on weight loss, outside of temporary water weight gain while healing.

I strongly advise going to/near maintenance calories for a few weeks after surgery. I didn't, and it was a mistake. Fortunately, I healed fine, but got fatigued and weak.

I was told not to exercise other than walking for around a month or 6 weeks (I forget which) after surgery, not lift anything heavy, not do certain household chores (like vacuuming). A few weeks in, the doc told me it was OK to start lifting 5 pounds in daily life, so I asked if that included dumbbells. She told me to wait a week after that, after which I started the only weight training program I've ever been on that involved lifting to boredom rather than lifting to failure. ;)

They told me to eat a low fat diet for a month or so after surgery, then gradually reintroduced fat to see how I tolerated it. Since I was losing weight at the time, my daily consumption was already within their low fat guidelines. After reaching goal weight, I've occasionally eaten high-fat foods (onion rings or pizza, for example) with no problems.

Best wishes for a smooth experience and speedy healing!
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in May of 2010. The first few years were pretty bad when I ate something fatty, especially in the morning. Things like bacon, pork, too much olive oil, sausage, etc. I wouldn't have to eat very much and I would have to run to the bathroom. I would have to be careful if I was on a road trip and what I ate, or you'd be pulling over on the highway in the woods...no good :# I know some are more sensitive than others when it comes to this and some don't have these issues post removal. My mother, for instance, has never had these issues, my great aunt on the other hand has had the same issues as I have.

As far as appetite (and my mother's and great aunt's), this has not changed, nor did it affect my ability to lose weight any slower/faster than when we had it.