Today'sMantra

I've had a rough time staying positive today. I'm just repeating "Weight loss is not linear! Weight loss is not linear!" I had a great week with what I was eating, I was SURE I'd be down at my weigh in today. But I was up a pound and it ticked me off. Just take a deep breath and keep on keepin' on.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This is why I weigh so infrequently. I don't want to be calming myself down when I don't get the news I expect.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This is why I weigh so infrequently. I don't want to be calming myself down when I don't get the news I expect.

See and this is why I weigh MORE frequently. Sunday to Sunday I might show a gain, but all those days in between there was actually a slow creep down, followed by a little bump and then the loss showed itself Monday. Weighing infrequently you miss your personal patterns and risk setting yourself up for giving up due perceived lack of results. It's easy to stick with it today and see what tomorrow shows if the scale shows something you weren't expecting, but the idea of another week while already feeling hopeless could well derail a person.
  • NovusDies

See and this is why I weigh MORE frequently. Sunday to Sunday I might show a gain, but all those days in between there was actually a slow creep down, followed by a little bump and then the loss showed itself Monday. Weighing infrequently you miss your personal patterns and risk setting yourself up for giving up due perceived lack of results. It's easy to stick with it today and see what tomorrow shows if the scale shows something you weren't expecting, but the idea of another week while already feeling hopeless could well derail a person.

I don't know why people around here do this. I am not you and you are not me. Just because something works for you doesn't make it globally correct and pitfalls await anyone who does it differently. I am losing weight and I have had almost no mentally low days. My clothes are gradually getting baggier which is all the measuring I really need right now.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I was offering my own advice to the OP in comparison to yours, calm down.
  • NovusDies
    Sorry. I inadvertently lumped you in with the preachers of the forum.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member

I weigh multiple times a day. Idk why but I like watching the fluctuations. I can see patterns that way.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    I've had a rough time staying positive today. I'm just repeating "Weight loss is not linear! Weight loss is not linear!" I had a great week with what I was eating, I was SURE I'd be down at my weigh in today. But I was up a pound and it ticked me off. Just take a deep breath and keep on keepin' on.

I love this mantra! Nothing in life in linear! We have to keep chugging and chugging on!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    The scale has been climbing all week over here. I'm approaching TOM, so I expected it. But was one pound from my goal and was hoping to hit it this week, so I am a but annoyed. Today I reminded myself (before stepping on the scale) that it's just a number, any gain is just water weight and I'll get to my goal when I get to it. It's taken me 9 months to drop the weight. A couple more weeks is nothing. TOM bloating derails me for at least 10 days every month. Ugh!