New here - hope I'm doing this right!

Options
celeste_2009
celeste_2009 Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2018 in Getting Started
Hi all, I am new to the MFP and looking forward to finding support here. After going through eating disorder recovery over 5 years ago and gaining quite a bit of weight, I finally got to a weight (125 lbs, 5'4) that I was comfortable with and sustained that for a couple of years. However, just over this past fall, I gained about 10 pounds, and I'm trying to lose the 10 pounds.

I have not lost any weight, despite my efforts, since January. Just this Monday, I started MFP, and I plan to eat about ~1800/day. So far, my weight *still* hasn't budged, but I am trying to stay patient. (Mind you MFP originally suggested 1400/day, but that seemed way too little... so we will see!)

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Patiently do it. If you are not using a kitchen scale to measure your portions, begin doing so.
  • celeste_2009
    Options
    Great suggestion!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    With only 10 lbs to lose, set your goal to lose 0.5 lbs per week. Understand that that little progress may hide behind water weight and other normal fluctuations from week to week, so patience is a requirement.

Do you exercise or have an active lifestyle? I'm 5'5" 125lbs and I eat 1800 to maintain, but I'm only lightly active. If you don't see any results over 6-8 weeks, you may need to go a little bit lower, maybe a happy medium between mfp's number and yours. Good luck!
  • celeste_2009
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi Kimny - thanks so much for the response! I haven't seen any weight loss this week, so maybe my numbers are too high. I exercise about 6 times a week for 30 minutes and walk (to get to school and do errands- just part of my lifestyle) about 3 miles a day. I'll see how 1800 goes for the next month, and if I see no changes, going a bit lower sounds like it might be a good idea. Thanks again!