Looking to slim out too muscular of arms

Options
I am 5'4 around 116 and muscular. In fact, too muscular for my liking. I put on muscle quickly. I am currently training for a marathon. I am hoping to continue to have strong arms but would like them to lean out a bit. I have changed from using 8-10 lb weights with 12-15 reps to 3-5 lb weights with 25-30 reps. Any suggestions for how to lose muscle mass but keep a toned appearance?

Replies

• audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I too would like less muscle
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too! I'm a little worried that I might be getting too bulky!
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    your current less-weight, more-reps should do the trick! altho 18 reps is probably enough.

i have the opposite desire: i WANT muscular arms! right now, there is NO definition :o( hopefully some muscle will show itself after i lose another 10 or so lbs!
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Muscle is your friend! If you want to look leaner, look to lose the fat on top of your muscles, not the muscles themselves.
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    Also long stretches as in pilaties, lotte burk method etc. has that effect, after every weight lifting excercise try stretching everything out. May help.
  • jjbnfo
    jjbnfo Posts: 15
    Options
    Your lower weight higher rep will tip you towards a slimmer build.

If that doesn't work, you could try keeping the weights the same, but doing fewer sets, or reducing workout frequency.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    But muscles are sexy!
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've always been prone to bulking up in my arms and shoulders, which is not the look I want.
    I've just started using workouts by Ellen Barret. One of her catch phrases is "bulk is a 4 letter word". She promotes a leaner, defined look. I am alternating between Skinny Sculpt - an all over toning workout with heavy emphasis on arms, and Yogini - a pilates and yoga inspired workout for a great bikini body that focuses on belly, butt and thighs. I also like Golds Gym's Tank Top Arms. It gave me a lot of definition that I didn't expect to see until I had lost a lot more weight.

Good luck.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    - Decrease your body fat %. Muscle is often times covered by a layer of fat, making us appear "bulky".
    - Don't perform certain exercises. Bicep curls, preacher curls, and other "isolation" movements are done to gain strength or mass.
    - Cut down on protein consumption, make sure you're eating at or below maintenance. You can't gain muscle in a deficit (unless you're calorie cycling).

Focus on full body movements that will help you maintain your strength without requiring lifting weights. Push-ups, pull-ups, chin-ups, planks, advanced yoga poses, etc.
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't know why you would want to but.....
    I would watch your protein intake (don't cut it, but make sure it's not excessive)
    Cardio that increases your heartbeat to the 40-55% of your max rate. ( This should force you body into a catabolic state)
    *if you do decrease protein intake, make sure you don't replace with bad carbs or fat. Eat more veggies!)