Beginners Strength Training/Lifting

Options
I am nearing my weight loss goal and have been really inspired looking at some of the people on this site who are so ripped!!

I know once I reach my goal of 126 (now 131) i'll need something to keep me focused and also to take the skinny look away which I tend to look at 126.

So .. I'd love to have some toned muscular arms, back and a nice toned stomach, not build muscle as such just tone what I have, any tips for a complete beginner?

Replies

• cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    if you can, meet with a trainer to guide you through a basic workout program.
    it'll take a few weeks for the results to show, so why not start training NOW already, so your working out will show a solid difference by the time you reach 126?
    congrats on being only 5 lbs from your goal :o)
  • Crang81
    Crang81 Posts: 14
    Options
    If you have access to gym classes, I reccomend TRX it's a total body workout, not ment to build bulk, but will tone you up. I've just started doing it and after the first class I was sold on it!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Start training now, there's no reason to wait. I'm not going to a gym currently but in the past my programs have looked something like this:

3 sets, 12 reps (the last two should be pretty hard). 1 min rest between each set.

Upper Body:
    Lat pull-down
    Chest Press
    Shoulder press
    Bicep curls
    tricep extensions.

Lower Body:
    Leg Press or Squats
    Adductors,
    Abductors
    Hamstring curls
    Quad lifts
    Something for calves

I start with things that target the most muscle groups, and then narrow things down.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah and core. I generally just do 3 sets of 30 bicycles.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, I am absolutely in LOVE with the totally free Nike Training Club. It is 30-45 minute full body workouts that can be done at home or the gym, but the best part, is it actually tells you your workout in your ears. You just listen to the music and follow the prompts. But take it slow the first few times! It'll kick your butt something awful, but I think it is just so much fun and the time flies by.
  • Goingagain
    Goingagain Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, not actually a member of a gym at the moment, but i'm looking into it!
  • Rosie_66
    Rosie_66 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the info, everyone - a lot of us need this info too!
  • Goingagain
    Goingagain Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Duqtape that sounds like a good app, I must look into it, thanks!
  • icandothis318
    icandothis318 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bumping to subscribe.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Bumping so I can remember to download the app later!