well-worn territory

Options
i know this is totally common and everyone is over it... but i am frustrated at how "good" i've been for over a week and the scale just won't budge! i weigh myself first thing in the morning consistently. sigh and wtf?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Give it time. If you are truly staying within your goals you will lose.............................
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Things that can affect your "scale weight":
    how recently you've exercised (sore muscles retain water);
    how recently you've had a bowel movement (I know, ewww, but that can be over 4 lbs right there);
    what part of your reproductive cycle you're on;
    how much sleep you've gotten (it affects the hormones!);
    the weather (humidity & temp can affect how much water your body retains);
    your salt intake (again, could cause water retention).

Just keep doing your best, and trust that sooner or later the results will show up on the scale. Hang in there!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself. I was Soooooo pissed off this morning! My weight has stayed exactly the same for months. But I measured about a month ago. Since the beginning of August I have biked 160 miles in addition to weight training, dancing and aikido. And monitored my calories. I was sure the scale would move. Not one freaking ounce! So I measured again this morning. I had lost an inch off of each of my parts. That made me feel much better. You may just be toning up and putting on muscle as you are losing fat and it's coming out a wash on the scale.
  • eharring
    eharring Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    that is actually helpful... i didn't think about how pre-menstrual i am. ;) also might explain the frustration and crankiness! AND i was so proud of myself for all the exercise i've gotten, but you're right, it might be the sore muscles! ok. thanks.
  • jjbnfo
    jjbnfo Posts: 15
    Options
    I've had that happen at various stages of my previous 30-pound weight loss. Sticking points suck, but your body will move off it.
  • eharring
    eharring Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    janetpratt: also true. i was moving recently and couldn't find my tape measure but it would be worth it to see some progress.

i'm being kind of vain and hoping to be smaller before a visit back where i grew up in a few weeks. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself only a couple of times a week. I don't think it would be nearly as frustrating. There could be a slight change that you aren't noticing because you're weighing yourself too often.