confused!

I have a huge lower body and a smaller upper body. I want to get smaller! SOOOOOO my question is if I try different exercises to tone and shape my body now, will it make me big and bulky? Or will it help slim me? I have been walking 3 miles a day at 3.5 on the treadmill and eating 1200 calories a day.. Is that good enough? Somebody help me please :)

Replies

• MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    I would suggest a combo of cardio strength training and yoga, Definatly want cardio to be the highest percentage bc thats will help you get smaller but strngth training is important bc it will help you urn more calories annnnd yoga or stretching in general will help keep your muscles long and lean! Hope that helps!
  • jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Combo of cardio and strength training will help you lose weight and gain muscle. You won't get big and bulky, you don't have the male hormones for that. Keep your weights light and do lots of reps.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Also you want to shake up the different cardio and strength training you do, Confuse those muscles! haha
  • cbear017
    cbear017 Posts: 345 Member
    I'd highly recommend that you read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a real eye opener. Weight lifting will not make you bulk up. You just don't have the hormones to be able to be big like a man. Any man will tell you that even they have to work really hard to get big or add weight.

Cardio is overrated. Sure, you'll burn calories while you're doing it, but building muscle through strength training will increase your BMR and that's always a good thing :) Years ago I obsessed with cardio and like a lot of women I'd spend two or three hours in spin classes only to end up skinny but not really healthy...actually, kind of skinny fat. Sure, it helps your heart but you only have to do 15 minutes a few times a week to do that.
  • brittanyirwin
    brittanyirwin Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks! You guys have helped alot! I now know just what to do :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I heard people that are larger on the bottom should go very low carb. Are you a big sweets person?
  • brittanyirwin
    brittanyirwin Posts: 7 Member
    Yes! Any kind of sugar is my weakness lol,,