Quick meal ideas for busy nights

Options
frogmommy
frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
I see a number of questions about quick options when juggling kid activities, work, different schedules, etc. One idea that helps me requires a couple of hours up front (usually on the weekend for me), but saves a ton of time during the week. Plus, I am not tempted to run through a drive through.

I make several pounds of taco meat (or any protein) and cut up veggies (or buy pre-cut) then portion them out for the week. Soup is always a great option - using the recipe calculator then portioning single servings. Or, for my husband, I make several sandwiches on Sunday, and wrap them up for the week. My favorite lately is "egg roll in a bowl" or taco meat mixed with angel hair cole slaw mix. I put the single servings into containers then grab what I need out of the fridge for myself.

I am interested in other ideas for once-a-week meal prep ideas!

Replies

• aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Meat bolognaise and chilli are both old favourites for making a big batch then freezing. I serve with pasta or rice for the family and courgetti (zucchini pasta or cauliflower rice for me.
    There’s been a few posts on preparing mason jars full of stuff to take to work but I haven’t tried these yet.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I use Flatout (I like the Red Pepper flavor) as a pizza crust. Bake it at 375 for 5 min, add sauce and toppings, and bake for another 5 min. I usually eat it with a salad on the side. I also make a big crockpot of salsa chicken every week. Couple of chicken breast, chicken taco seasoning, and a cup of salsa in the crockpot on low for 6 hours. I portion it out in ziplock bags and throw them in the freezer. That way when I need a quick dinner, I can warm it up and make myself a burrito or a taco salad.
  • getnickripped
    getnickripped Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I buy the purdue chicken wingettes. Salt, pepper garlic powder. Throw in the oven for 40 min on 375. I buy the mixed green salad in a container. Put in a bowl with oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and goat cheese and thats it. On occasion theres some roasted broccoli. Pretty easy.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The only big problem with cooking ahead is you have to avoid lean meats that won't reheat that well.

Cottage Pie
    Lasagna
    Meatballs in gravy
    Hamburger steak
    Frittata (breakfast or breakfast for dinner)
    Pork roast