Anyone use chantix to quit smoking?

Options
jbrooks3645
jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
Just wondering how it has worked for anyone who has tried it my husband just started it today.

Replies

• princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I used it twice (years apart). The first time worked wonders. If you slip and smoke, it tastes awful when on the drug. That sure helps!
    The second time really messed me up. I was dizzy and SO out of it. I took myself off after an evening of laying in bed with my head spinning and not making much sense. Went cold turkey after that and was successful.
    It’s a hard thing to do, and he has to be ready to do it. Good luck to your husband!
  • jbrooks3645
    jbrooks3645 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    He says he is ready the dr scared him when he went in for his blood pressure pills. I really hope he quits but after reading chantix reviews online I am a little worried abt him taking it.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I’ve used it. I find it to be a miracle to help you quit smoking. With that being said, it’s not for everybody. I had side effects, while not severe, irritating. VERY vivid dreams. Vivid to the point where I didn’t know if the event actually happened or if it was a dream. I would also get nauseous if I didn’t take it with food. You also have to want to quit. Again, this is just my opinion. I wish you luck.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    its a miracle for quitting, but you cant go back to one or two now and then. Im sadly out and back smoking. i got cocky -.-
  • BeersForAll
    BeersForAll Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Worked for me! It's been about 8 years. Did have a few nightmares. Quit taking it with 2 weeks left, after the nightmares. Not bothered by people smoking, but have no desire to smoke cigs again. Tell him good luck, he'll thank himself down the road!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I've never had a lit cigarette in my mouth, not once (truth).

That being said, I once read a study that showed a definitive correlation in the success of smoking cessation and the patients financial accountability.

Essentially, if the patient is paying out of pocket for the smoking cessation medications or therapies, the success rate is much higher than if the treatments are provided free of charge.

(and please, don't ask me to cite the study, I can't. It was years ago.)
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    My mother quit smoking for 3 years and developed a heart issue from the drug. She started smoking again. Then she read Allan Carrs book on how to quit smoking and she's been smoke free for 8 years. I really recommend it. Her 2 friends and a co-worker along with my sister also smoke free from this book. And most recently a friend.

I used Chantrix to help stop smoking, along with the use of patches. Never go the dreams, or jitters that some said. But, I was a heavy smoker, and extremely addicted to cigarettes. Took me use of a 21mg patch, Zyban and physical exhertion to help get me to stop smoking.

Alan Carr's book was phenomenal to me as it is finally what helped me stop smoking.