Any petite ladies successfully losing weight??? Need help!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am a Petite (4’11”) 28 year old trying to lose weight after two boys and two c-sections. My current weight is 151 lbs My Goal weight is 115 lbs which is where I was at before babies :)

I am so confused as to what method is best (Keto, paleo, low carb, low fat?) Also, calories recommended for my height & weight in order to lose are pretty low. I’m scared it may be unhealthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Replies

• Healthymama2018
    Healthymama2018 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,

MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1200 to lose 2 lbs a week. However I am new to this and it’s a bit confusing because when I researched using calorie calculator online it goes as low as 996lbs if I am very active and way lower if sendentary. However, I am actively working out 6 days a week for an average of 45 minutes.
  • Healthymama2018
    Options
    Hi @apullum it’s great & very motivating to hear this has worked for you! Do you follow macros recommended by MFP?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Hi,

MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1200 to lose 2 lbs a week. However I am new to this and it’s a bit confusing because when I researched using calorie calculator online it goes as low as 996lbs if I am very active and way lower if sendentary. However, I am actively working out 6 days a week for an average of 45 minutes.

2lbs is too steep a deficit with only 36lbs to go. Try 1lb a week you'll be given more calories (MFP doesn't go below 1200cal for women). Also eat a portion of your exercise calories back.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hi,

1200 is the minimum required for women. Some online calorie calculators will give you lower numbers than that; please don't trust them. At 996 calories per day, you would struggle to get proper nutrition. If a calculator is giving you less than 1200 calories for a particular rate of weight loss, that means the rate of weight loss you've chosen is not healthy for your current stats.

I would set MFP to no more than a 1 lb. per week loss. With 35 pounds to lose, 2 lb. per week is just too aggressive.

You should also eat back your exercise calories, but calculating exercise calories can be confusing. Both MFP's database and gym equipment give estimates that are very high. If you use those methods, then try eating half of the exercise calories they give you in order to compensate for the high estimates.

What I did is enter my activity as sedentary, and then add my exercise calories back separately. I am primarily a runner, and running calories can be calculated fairly accurately, so I ate them all back.
    Hi @apullum it’s great & very motivating to hear this has worked for you! Do you follow macros recommended by MFP?

Macros are only relevant to other health and fitness goals, not weight loss itself. I honestly didn't pay a lot of attention to my macros, and they're largely a personal preference thing. Because I'm an endurance runner, I have my carbs set relatively high (60% carbs, 25% protein, 15% fat). I mostly just try to get my protein--I'm vegetarian, so I have to pay attention to get enough. But if you're actively trying to build muscle, then you might set your protein higher, and you probably don't need so many carbs if you're not into endurance sports. It really depends on your goals and preferences.
  • Healthymama2018
    Options
    @1BlueAurora @michellesilverleaf Thank you so much ladies for the help! I will take your recommendations & reduce to 1 lb a week. Again thank you for all the help, very much appreciated :)
  • Healthymama2018
    Options
    @apullum ok great this really helps me understand things a lot better I really appreciate your help! I am pretty new to this and after doing so much research online it gets confusing. I will stick to MFP calorie goals and not worry much about macros. Thank you!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I have found that using the macro targets helps me feel more satisfied and less hungry. I am 5’1” and down 8 lbs so far on the 1200 recommended calorie target
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm 27, 5'0".

SW 09/2014: 148.7lbs
    CW: 113.4lbs

Been there. I'm currently at 1,200 calories to lose. My maintenance is around 1,400. I eat low carb because it is good and sustainable for me. Find what works for you. Eat what you like.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2-5'3 I started at 160 and ate 1,200 calories everyday (I didn't exercise). I didn't do a special diet, I had just had a baby when I first started. I'm now at 125! I'm back at it again to get down to 110! I'm 21!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’2” and have lost from 208 to 154 so far (aiming for 135) eating anywhere from 1800-2200 calories a day. I’ve generally been losing a bit less than a pound a week, which seems like not very much, but it does add up, and I find the higher calorie goal much easier to stick to. Even among shorter women there’s a decent variation in how many calories we can eat to lose - the real key is to be consistent and stick to it. Calculators are all just estimates based on population data and don’t take everything into account - you need to watch the scale over time and adjust if needed. Counting calories can take some getting used to, but it absolutely works. Good luck!
  • Healthyhunny231567
    Healthyhunny231567 Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am a Petite (4’11”) 28 year old trying to lose weight after two boys and two c-sections. My current weight is 151 lbs My Goal weight is 115 lbs which is where I was at before babies :)

I am so confused as to what method is best (Keto, paleo, low carb, low fat?) Also, calories recommended for my height & weight in order to lose are pretty low. I’m scared it may be unhealthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

We sound almost like twins...im 5 ft and a mom to a girl & boy i have had 2 c sections....i started out at 160 and I'm down to about 128...trying to get to 120 eventually! I eat 1200 calories a day and I work out about 4 times a week. I am a full time worker & a mom to two young children so I have to workout at home. I would say the calorie intake has helped me the most though. My work outs aren't intense as I have never been much good with working out. I mostly walk around my neighborhood & I've downloaded apps to do yoga & different 20 minute workouts (planks, sit ups, wall sit ups, pushups, etc)
  • Healthymama2018
    Options
    @Healthyhunny231567 Thank you for sharing your story. It is so motivating to know someone with such a similar situation as mine has been successful! I’m also a working mommy. However, I work from home. Still, I have no time to get to a gym so my workouts are also at home. I use beachbody on demand and I love it so far! Congrats on all your success! You will be at 120 in no time! :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    5'3" and 46. I weighed 254lbs when I started MFP (October 30, 2016). I've dropped over 103lbs to date. What worked for me was:
    • Not following the most aggressive weekly goal. I set MFP to lose 1lb/week when I started, took the 1720 calories, and found it relatively painless. Now that I'm only about 20lbs or so from goal, I'm on 1400 to lose 1/2lb/week.
    • Exercising every day. Not strenuous. I'm mainly a walker. But getting up and moving around.
    • Recognizing that a treat didn't have to be a cheat. Planning out indulgences ahead of time. And being realistic about my behavior. (I'm going to my nephew's birthday party. There will be cake. And even though it will be high in calories, I know that I am going to have a piece. So. Let's guesstimate the likely calories for a 2" square piece of frosted cake and figure out how to fit that into my day.) I've found that when I plan it out, give myself permission to have that cake, and recognize that it's not putting me over my calories (or it is, but I decide that it's going to be worth it), I can stop there, avoid the bowls of chips and jelly beans, not go back for seconds, etc. It's when I tell myself that I'm just going to stick to the fruit bowl, not touch the cake, and avoid all treats that I run into problems.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The best diet for you is the one you can stick to. To lose weight is all about being in calorie deficit - i.e taking in less calories than we burn. It doesn't matter which one you choose, if there's a calorie deficit you will lose.

Personally I ate the foods I enjoyed, weighed and logged consistently, staying within my allowance the majority of the time and weight loss happened. It took more time than I had hoped but I got there in the end.

All the best :smile: