*craving* chinese

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I want some chinese food so bad! What could I make instead?

Replies

• kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    Why don't you order from diet menu? I always order steamed shrimp wih brocolli, brown rice and sauce on a side.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I want to say something but I don't know what> Is there anything healthy in the house you can eat first?
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Japanese?
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    chicken n broccoli??
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    make your own stirfry with brown rice!
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    steam some veggies, put it on top of a cup of brown rice, and then mix in a bit of stir fry sauce. yum! add chicken or shrimp if you need some protein in there. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You could make a chicken/veggie stirfry with quinoa too...:)
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    What type of chinese food are you craving?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Panda Express Beef and Broccoli! A little salt-fest every once in a while is fine...

OR if you want to be good you could make it yourself. Stir fry some steak strips with teryaki sauce (can you buy low salt?) and brocoli and onion, mix with cooked brown rice and some red pepper flakes. Yums.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Do you own a wok? If not I suggest you buy one. One tablespoon of oil (I prefer Canola) is all you need to turn out great Chinese style dishes. I took one chicken breast, sliced it up, added some frozen Chinese vegetables, low sodium soy sauce and a little sesame ginger sauce and it was enough for two meals!
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    It's more like thai food, but if you cook some cabbage in a skillet with almond butter and some dried pepper flakes and chicken, it's similar. Sorry I know it's not the same, but I don't even have decent chinese in my town, gotta drive 100 miles so we make do. Oh and another thing that I make is ground pork with LOTS of cabbage, coleslaw style- pre packaged, then I add some rice vinegar, sesame oil and other veggies. It's just like the stuffing of an eggroll and is super low in calories!!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Nothing evil about Chinese food if you cook it yourself, which has more control. Anything specific that you are craving? Fried rice? Noodle? Some stir fry? Anything can be make healthier and still tasty
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to take my dog for a quick run and then if I'm still craving it I'm going to try one of these.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kate - most Chinese places offer a lower calorie menu... or, if you like to cook, try whipping up a dish at home. You can make it with lots of fresh veggies and watch the oil and sodium content more closely. I LOVE to cook, so this is a great option for me. Most places will also make it as a special order too - using low sodium soy, for example, and doubling up on veggies... switching to brown rice... and try cutting the portion in half and saving some for lunch tomorrow. I do find (and some people may criticize me here) that it's better to have a smaller, more reasonable portion of what you really want, than to deprive yourself and avoid it - you'll end up eating more calories in the food you don't want trying to satisfy the craving and then in a day or two, end up binging on it anyway (I'm speaking from experience here, lol). Another tip, is to go for the high in veggie/high in protein options, vs. the options that are fried and covered in sugary and salty sauces. Hope that helps! *hugs*
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been craving chinese a ton lately, and I've been making pepper steak at home with jasmine rice. It's really good, and I use low-sodium soy sauce. I kinda wing it, but search for a recipe that sounds good to you, and adjust it to your taste!