Exercises... and hip pain..

Options
So the exercises I’ve been tending to do are elliptical, recumbent bike, and weight training... I also throw in some random dance parties too lol... but I’ve noticed when I do the recumbent bike, my hip starts to hurt... but I can jump right on the elliptical and everything be fine and dandy... does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to stop that hip pain??? I love the recumbent bike, but if I continue to experience this pain, I feel like I won’t be able to do it anymore...

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Is your bike at the right level for you? That's likely the issue.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem, which is why I stopped going on the bike at all now. This is at a gym, and those bikes can be adjusted, but I still get pain because I do hour-long workouts. It got to the point where they would start cracking when I walk. But I've been on the elliptical for a month now, and no problems at all. Personal opinion for me at least, is that I'm going to favor the elliptical from now on. I burn more calories in the same time frame, so it's more efficient.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if you were running, i'd ask if you were going too fast or too far too soon.
    maybe consider doing less and or going slower
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    maybe switch to upright bike?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I suspect it's an issue of the bike not being adjusted in the right way for you. I personally don't know any good rules of thumb for how to easily gauge that on a recumbent but I'm sure google has an idea. Something like "recumbent bike fit" would probably net good useful results. Another issue could be that the resistance may just too high. That said that's just a cautiously educated guess.
  • SMKing75
    SMKing75 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a hip issue, and the Sports Medicine Dr specifically told me to use the recumbent bike to help with the pain. It has helped my pain a lot. I can do the elliptical but it bothers my hip after about 25 min. I am not allowed to run or jog anymore. Walking is a go but I notice if I walk too much, too many days in a row, it will bother my hip also. I have mild hip dysplasia and possible labral tear. Maybe the elliptical is your thing and the bike isn't. I would try to avoid the bike for a week and see if it improves.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Keeping an eye on this thread. I sometimes get pain in my left hip or my right knee.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    'hip' is a pretty three-dimensional joint with a lot of parts and layers to it. first thing i'm going to say is if it hurts stop doing it. at LEAST until the current bout of hurting resolves. i have no way of knowing what yours is about but overuse injuries are not a fun thing.

and honestly, get yourself into forensic mode and start googling. this is NOT a substitute for medical advice, but you might as well at least start learning a couple of things. for me, when i'm detecting, the most useful thing to do is train myself to think more specifically about the issue. front of hip? side? groin? is it a pinch, an ache, a burn, a tearing sensation? immediate onset or does it delay for half a day before hitting you? any particular movements or angles do it? and so forth. it may be the way my mind works but it helps me a lot to at least know which kinds of muscles and other tissues are there and how they're organized.