Calling all dark beer drinkers....

Options
I love a good dark beer every now and then. Anyone have any good suggestions that they recommend that won't totally kill my progress or make me feel guilty? I can't bring myself to drink the 55 or 64 calorie beers, you might as well drink water.

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I love a good dark beer every now and then. Anyone have any good suggestions that they recommend that won't totally kill my progress or make me feel guilty? I can't bring myself to drink the 55 or 64 calorie beers, you might as well drink water.

Guinness has the nutritional value of a ham sandwich...so make it your dinner?

Whatever you do, have one for me.
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    I just try to plan for it and save calories from my other meals.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Henry Weinhard's - Private Reserve... if it's available in your area. 150 calories a bottle.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    I'll only have a beer every once in a while. maybe 2 beers a month. I just wait till I go out and have one with dinner.
  • hatchet83
    Options
    Do you drink bitter or real ales?
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    Recently I have been going to fairs, food trucks, carnivals, baseball games, and every other place that has bad food. On those days, I say forget it, I'm going to enjoy myself and not worry about calories. Having fun is the way to be. And honestly, if you dont stress about it, you wont feel bad about it! And if you really plan on having one, save the calories or work out a little extra :) A few extra hundred calories on one days isn't going to hurt you
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Dos Equis Amber has 146 calories per 12 oz.
    Yuengling (if you can find it) has 145 per per 1 pint.

Those are the only dark beers I drink besides Guiness.
  • dmarsek
    dmarsek Posts: 8
    Options
    I like just about anything. I'm not a huge fan of IPA's, but I can handle one every now and then.
  • francena84
    Options
    Why dont you type it in the food data base and see what beers have what calories?? I love Sam adams and yuengling
  • dmarsek
    dmarsek Posts: 8
    Options
    Dos Equis Amber has 146 calories per 12 oz.
    Yuengling (if you can find it) has 145 per per 1 pint.

Those are the only dark beers I drink besides Guiness.

I love Yuengling but it is not sold in MIssouri. My brother recently went to Florida and brought me some back with him, but that didn't last very long!
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Not really. Tasty beer has calories. The extra calories make it extra tasty.
    I have a key chain that says "I run for beer"
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ahhh my favorite topic... Guinness is one of the best choices mainly because it's available nearly everywhere. AVOID Fat Tire! while I love a good amber like fat tire Ambers, DIPAs and Reds are ALWAYS a bad choice if your watching your calories. If you want a porter or stout Anchor is a good choice (160-170 per bottle) but their christmas ale (which is amazing) tops off at over 300 cals! Owch. Stone ruination IPA is a good choice as well (hard to come by out of CA i've found sadly) at 185 but it packs a punch at over 10%

Newcastle is another decent choice...all good beers will be over 150 calories from the research I've done. I personally think its worth the calories. Good luck!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not really. Tasty beer has calories. The extra calories make it extra tasty.
    I have a key chain that says "I run for beer"

^This. I run for beer too!
  • InstantSunshine
    InstantSunshine Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bateman's are good - small brewery so not full of chemicals etc. They do light and dark ones.

http://www.bateman.co.uk/our+beers

not sure where you are... but these are nice, and if you just have one every so often, won't throw you off too badly.
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    When it comes to beer, I'll have to agree with a couple of the posts above. There is really no win win situation. Low calorie beers taste like water, in which case I rather not drink it. My personal apporach to this problem is to limit my intake of beer to the weekends / special ocassions with friends. I will try to eat excessively healthy 90% of the time, but when I'm with friends on the weekends and I'm handed a "real beer" I'll take 1 or 2. This approach works if you use it sparingly. If i pick up a craving on a given week for icecream, I'll suffice it over the weekend without worrying too much aboiut it, knowing that on the week days I'm been flawless. Note though, that this is a once or twice ocassion during the week, not an entire day or severals meals.
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I prefer to plan ahead and work out a little extra. A good beer is totally worth the extra sweat.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It takes a 500 calorie deficit every single day of the week to lose 1 lb. A couple hundred calories from a delicious cold beer? Not a big deal. Beer is an art form out here and I would be insulting the artists if I didn't indulge occasionally (San Diego has 20+ breweries!).

Beer = the darker the better. My absolute favorite beer is bourbon barrel aged Older Viscosity.

Previous favorite beer = Mackesons Triple Stout. May it rest in peace.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I am in agreement that a good beer is definately worth the sweat and the planning. I love my dark beer and would rather plan ahead for a good porter then drink the cheap water stuff. Personal favorite is Rogue Hazelnut Brown, but I like to try new ones too. I am like dark beer and would rather go without than make due.
  • jeffrife
    jeffrife Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I definitely like all of the Yuengling love here! Sorry, I'm a Philly boy through and through! However, I wouldn't qualify it as a dark beer (such as a porter or stout), but rather a lager ( It's why in Philly it is ordered by just saying "Lager" and is never confused by that Boston beer ;-).

A bottle of Murphy's Stout (excellent! one of my favorite brews! highly recommended by me) or St. Pauli Girl Dark (never tried it) contains 150 calories.
  • timl2k11
    timl2k11 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Go all all out man. Drink a real beer, a Belgian Tripel Ale! It'll set you back but it's one tasty beverage that'll knock you on yer *kitten*. Tis fun.