Losing weight while eating out/eating on the go

Options
sebedina
sebedina Posts: 161 Member
It is possible to lose weight if you are too busy to cook?

Can I lose way, say on a subway 6 inch for lunch and a marks ready meal in the evening and a slice of cake?

I am so busy that I can't always cook meals from scratch so end up feeling like a total failure. The only other solution is to quit my job and do part time that seems so drastic

Can I lose weight if I try to stick to the calories AND EAT a mcdonalds breakfast? (Ilike I did today).

I am a foodie...and an emotional eater.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Its about being in calorie deficit, ie eating less than you burn. Whether you'll feel satiated enough is another question.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    sebedina wrote: »
    It is possible to lose weight if you are too busy to cook?

Can I lose way, say on a subway 6 inch for lunch and a marks ready meal in the evening and a slice of cake?

I am so busy that I can't always cook meals from scratch so end up feeling like a total failure. The only other solution is to quit my job and do part time that seems so drastic

Can I lose weight if I try to stick to the calories AND EAT a mcdonalds breakfast? (Ilike I did today).

I am a foodie...and an emotional eater.

You can lose weight eating these foods, that said you also need to consider whether you're going to get the nutrition you need if you are relying on convenient fast food and ready meals, and as @LivingtheLeanDream has pointed out. you may not find them filling enough, which can lead to overeating through snacking.

Have you thought about prepping food ahead of time? I tend to make my lunches for the whole work week on a Sunday and one crockpot meal that can be heated in the microwave in a couple of minutes and served with some steamed veg if I am short on time. It only takes me 1-2 hours and then I don't have to worry about it the rest of the week.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    a lot of Subway stores will make you a salad instead of a sub - that may be a quick way of altering your calorie intake. I don't know how many cals are in a 6" sub roll, but it may be enough to create the deficit you need. Ready meals aren't necessarily bad... check the label, and ensure it is a meal for one, not two :D Track what you have, and if you have the calorie allowance for cake then have it.
  • sebedina
    Options
    Many thanks. I would love to stick to my calorie allowance and feel clear headed and well. Instead of heavy and unhappy on my current calorie intake. I eat mindlessly without tracking and snack on stuff that are calorie dense eg almonds or a bar of chocolate or large portioms/second helpings.
  • sebedina
    Options
    Evenings are worse. So i am thinking of saving most calories to use up in eveni gs.
  • jules81
    jules81 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot - I alway go for the lite menu and today bought my lunch ( sushi 289 cals) on the go with bottle of water.

I check menus out before hand of places. I eat out 3 x a week and have lost weight. But like today my mum and friend were eating toasted sandwiches in a cafe. I just prepare.

Good luck xxx
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Yes, you just have to record everything accurately and stay at your daily calorie goal.
    I frequently eat at subway. I usually get a 6" veggie on wheat with no cheese and red wine vinegar. They have the calories posted right at the stores. There are quite a few lower calorie choices there. Remember how Jarod lost all that weight eating at Subway.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    absolutely. but it would be a bit more difficult because you don't have control over the ingredients
    so if you burn more than you eat, your good.
    ask for dressing and condiments on the side. try salad over bread. grilled over breaded.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I eat out alot 2 ! I love subway my favorite is 6inch chicken terrayki or veggie delight with sweet onion sauce! I just pass the chips and fountain beverage for bottled water. Those sandwiches satisfy me! If i eat out at McDonalds 1 in a while i either get a grilled chicken sandwich dont eat the bun or a salad with vinegerrate dressing! I also eat their filetofish without bun 2! I eat quick breakfasts at home like a cup of dry cheerios and a lite and fit yogurt. Just compare takeout menus and choose healthier choices and split portions if may be! If I go 2 Olive Garden I get salad and breadsticks and order a italian meal but get 3 meals out of it. I have them bag it up 2 go!Alot of fastfood places are high and fat so just watch out what you order! Feel free 2 add me as a friend! we can support and motivate each other along the way!
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Try setting macronutrient goals and not only fitting your restaurant meals into your calories, but also into your macro limits. This will really help you stick to a healthy diet.

For example, if you have a McMuffin and a slice of chocolate cake, you might still be under your calorie limit, but you'll have surpassed your fat and carb goals for the day and be WAY under your protein goal. If you're counting your macros you can still have that McMuffin if you really want it or if you really don't have time for anything else, but then to stick to your limits you'll have to eat lean protein and veggies for the rest of the day--which is a good thing :)

It's a much better way of keeping yourself accountable to a generally healthy diet without having to sacrifice certain things you really like/want.