Always hungry

Options
For the past 3 weeks I'm hungry 24/7!
I've lost 18 kg since July last year which means I reached my weight goal 60 kg. I'm eating at MFP maintenance 1700kcal for the past 3 months, my weight is stable just lost 1kg since 3 months ago but still losing cm which I guess is good as I am trying to do body recomposition.
I do strength training with heavy weights 4 times a week but as I said... i am always hungry and dont know what to do...
Shall I increase my maintenance calories? Should i just deal with it? Any suggestions or anyone in the same situation?

I eat 149gP/149gC/50gF i am 1,68 cm current weight 59 kg

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would eat a more balanced diet macro-wise - the protein is way too high, and fat a bit on the low side. You are also very lean, maybe you're getting too lean (for you).
  • Anamargonz
    Anamargonz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid simple carbs as much as possible and eating lower amount of carbs makes me moody and to crave for the wrong foods....

The time of the month makes a difference in my hunger levels thats true but i have learnt to cope with it as I've always been that way. I usually have breakfast, postworkout snack, lunch, snack and dinner so I eat frequently as I cant stay long between meals.

My current goal is to get very lean. Therefore my macros so I dont think I will be eating less proteins.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue when cutting or eating at maintenance. I recommend looking into volumetrics to help feel more satisfied. This site has some good info and recipes.
    https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/volume-eating-recipes/
  • Anamargonz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll change my macros more fats and maybe decrease my proteins. I will still eat 1700kcal for a couple of weeks and then try reverse dieting to increase muscle mass. Or maybe i wait until I come back from holiday.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Why do you need to reverse diet? Do you mean slowly increase cals until you see no change in weight upwards? Or increase until you are slowly gaining weight? I would say your maintenance cals are more like 2000 or thereabouts...that would explain the hunger...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure what reverse dieting is, but kudos for taking advice - I think you are among those who will prosper :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If manipulating macros doesn't work try this experiment: eat until you're not hungry for a few days. Try not to overindulge, just eat the least amount of calories that you can eat without being hungry and see how many calories that is. You may go over your usual 1700, but you may be surprised that all it takes is an extra 100 or so calories. It may be more, but it's good to give it a few days to see how much is pleasantly sustainable to you. You're currently in a small deficit, so maybe don't need more than eating your true maintenance to feel okay. If you do feel you need more, you'll have a few things to think about.

After that you will be able to decide if the hunger is worth it, if you're willing to work on your NEAT or exercise a little bit more to reach a comfortable maintenance level, or if maintaining at a few kilos higher would be a thing you're willing to consider.
  • Anamargonz
    edited April 2018
    Options
    All I am aiming to get my body fat to 20%. Last time i checked it was 25% and this was one month ago.
    I feel I'm in the right direction just need to adjust macros and calories. Meal prep is tough with an 11 months old baby to look after 24/7 but I'm trying my best.
    Thinking of still eating 1700 kcal for a couple of weeks to compensate 3 days of eating whatever i felt like... my tummy has come back lol
    The idea of reverse dieting is because I believe it could give me the extra push to build more muscles and reduce body fat ? I'm lifting heavier with the time but muscles look the same, just a bit of shape.
    I'll check body fat % in a couple of weeks I dont think it's a good idea right now. It's always a terrifying moment for me bcos i get very upset if there is no improvement. Don't really care much about my weight but I'm scared of it going up as it's been hard. Seriously i fell I've been on a diet all my life (wad obese when a kid)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Anamargonz wrote: »
    All I am aiming to get my body fat to 20%. Last time i checked it was 25% and this was one month ago.
    I feel I'm in the right direction just need to adjust macros and calories. Meal prep is tough with an 11 months old baby to look after 24/7 but I'm trying my best.
    Thinking of still eating 1700 kcal for a couple of weeks to compensate 3 days of eating whatever i felt like... my tummy has come back lol
    The idea of reverse dieting is because I believe it could give me the extra push to build more muscles and reduce body fat ? I'm lifting heavier with the time but muscles look the same, just a bit of shape.
    I'll check body fat % in a couple of weeks I dont think it's a good idea right now. It's always a terrifying moment for me bcos i get very upset if there is no improvement. Don't really care much about my weight but I'm scared of it going up as it's been hard. Seriously i fell I've been on a diet all my life (wad obese when a kid)

I have gone back through the comments.

It sounds like 1700 is actually a point you have reached being in a deficit for quite some time, as in you have reached equilibrium with your current intake, NEAT and EAT, keep in mind this would not be your real TDEE. A reverse diet can help you slowly increase calories, in which if you would be working towards your 'actual' TDEE. You will not have built muscle at this calorie intake outside of newbie lifter gains and depending on how long you have been lifting, exhausting your potential in this aspect tapers down until you are ready to maintain and move to recomp.

So reverse dieting to your actual TDEE would then allow you to recomp (continue with fat loss/build muscle) keep in mind this is a longer term commitment as you are working on body compensation, so keeping up with weight and some other ways to guage your progress will be needed, also you need a reliable source for testing body fat% as in a professional scan to get a much better estimate.

Eta: I would start reverse now, you will need to start getting out of this dieting mentality if you want to build muscle. Your calorie intake is your #1 way to progress. Of course an optimal lifting program and protein intake is crucial as well.