Unsupportive Family :(

Options
Ive been struggling with my weight since i was in middle school. and it seems that every time i attempt to loose weight i cannot stick to it for more than a week i eat good i exercise and i lose weight but it seems that once i start doing this my family begins to pick at every single thing that i do for example i had a good week did good lost weight so i decide to reward myself with something like say a night out with my friends and eat a burger as soon as i get home they're like Wat did you eat and if i say i had a cheeseburger they start laughing at me and say ha where did the diet go! idk it just never seems like they support what im doing and always expect me to fail at it. and usually i do its kinda hard to believe in myself when my own family doesnt :(

Sorry just venting

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This is the place to vent, dearest. Let it all out and everyone here will be right with you supporting you.

The truth is, you almost have to turn a deaf ear to things like that. No one needs to be lording over your new lifestyle -- you're doing this for you. YOU and no one else.

Stick with your goals, tune those who don't support or make fun of you out, and stay focused. You'll always have supportive friends here!

Good Luck!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    So who are you doing this for - you or them?
  • audrarice
    Options
    It's really important to reward yourself when u have a good week! But maybe u can try rewarding yourself with a manicure, a new outfit... Etc... I will admit, I'm a food addict! I never met a burger I didn't like!! Or a pizza, or potatoes, or ice-cream! I always have one cheat day where I eat something I shouldn't... If u don't indulge every now and then, u will break and totally gorge! My best advice is to not tell anyone u are dieting... Then just wait for them to notice that ur clothes look too big, or something like that... Then when they say something, u can say u have been dieting... Not eating the foods u love is hard enough without feeling like you are under the microscope too!! Feel free to friend me!! I will be a support system for u! Dont give up!
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It's really important to reward yourself when u have a good week! But maybe u can try rewarding yourself with a manicure, a new outfit... Etc... I will admit, I'm a food addict! I never met a burger I didn't like!! Or a pizza, or potatoes, or ice-cream! I always have one cheat day where I eat something I shouldn't... If u don't indulge every now and then, u will break and totally gorge! My best advice is to not tell anyone u are dieting... Then just wait for them to notice that ur clothes look too big, or something like that... Then when they say something, u can say u have been dieting... Not eating the foods u love is hard enough without feeling like you are under the microscope too!! Feel free to friend me!! I will be a support system for u! Dont give up!

Well said! I completely agree!
  • emmadrama
    emmadrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i no what you mean sweetie.
    My family has always been on at me to exercise and get healthy and now i actually have and am losing weight. (weight that really needs to be lost) they're like stop losing weight eat more why are you exercising so much.
    They dont understand what it means to you and how hard it is to do. just hang in there. when u get where u want and your happy they will see it and hopefully be ashamed for not supporting you.

keep it up
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    Tell them "I already burned the extra calories... what are you burning?"
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    So who are you doing this for - you or them?

It still matters. Support (or lack of) matters.

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy.
  • twogood
    twogood Posts: 3
    Options
    This is a great place to vent and let it all out! That is what we are here for!

You are 20 years old, beautiful, and you are making great choices for yourself! Sometimes you have to not tell people you are dieting or trying to lose weight. Use this to become healthier and empower yourself to be better! You are taking the right steps!

Don't give up, people can suck (even family), so maybe turn that inside and show them what you can do and accomplish. They probably won't say another word if you show them you can do this.

We are all here for you! :) xoxo
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    i have to ignore people that treat me this way I usually shut them out and won't discuss my weight loss/diet w/them
  • Robscofle
    Options
    When I lived with my family they could not be more critical. I decided that I needed to get fitter for sports and lost weight. My family tried to convince me that I was "anorexic" because I didn't want to eat the junk food they considered "normal". Considering my background as a UK registered dietitian I have to remind them of what I do for a living. Family members can be the most unsupportive people around. They have their own agenda. You changing is uncomfortable for them. You changing will probably make you more confident and more assertive which family members will find threatening. Focus on your goals and your brighter future. Stick with the people who will support you and avoid those who won't! Freind request me if you would like any advice/support
  • Bluejay789
    Bluejay789 Posts: 176
    Options
    You can pick your friends but you cant pick your family. I totally understand.

Go out with friends but if you know where you are going then look it up on MFP before you go out and eat only a portion of the meal. Bring the other portion home to your family and give to them to eat. Then they will not be asking your questions.

Example: Chili's Grilled Chicken Pasta without Garlic Bread is 1340 calories!

I constantly have people at work trying to give me cake, cookies, bagles, banana bread down and they know I am working out and trying to loose. It's amazing how everything has to do with food. This is the place to vent, anytime you need support please reach out.