exercise calories

Options
I am a bit confused about this whole exercise calories stuff.

Here's a summary of my stats:
Heigh=5ft 8inches
SW=183lbs
CW=183lbs(I have started the program a thousand times over, but this time, I am focusing more on my health and form, not just weight and dress size.)
GW=154lbs
First and foremost, I am not sure how many calories to eat per day, MFP says about 1240 but Noom and CardioTrainer syas 2000.
Second, when I exercise a lot, like running plus say kickboxing, MFP adds the calories I lost to my Daily calories totals.
Does that mean that I need to eat more.
I am confused, since the goal of exercising is to lose weight, but if I eat more food to replace the calories I lose, how will I shed off the weight?
Third, I am currently training to run my first 5K at the end of October. Anyone out there that is training to run their first 5k or wants a training buddy so we can motivate each other, or if you just love running feel free to add me.
Thanks!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving your daily calorie allowance based on your goals (did you put in you want to lose 2lbs a week? I've found most people who are set at 1200ish calories have their weekly loss at 2lbs week). Also, when MFP figures out your daily calories based on the information you put into the system - they already figure in a deficit. That is why it is adding your exercise calories to the daily calorie total. You want to stay as close to that number as possible - even when it adds in those calories. The goal to this site is to keep that number in the green without too many calories leftover. Most sites do NOT work in the same manner which is why it will tell you to NOT eat those exercise calories back.
  • laurendough
    Options
    I totally get your question! I have thought the exact same thing. My target is 1200 calories/day. I run 5x a week, and on the days I run, I DO NOT add extra calories to my meals. With all the running I am doing, and always staying below 1200, I am still only losing about 1.5 lbs/week. I imagine that if I ate the extra 2250 exercise calories per week that I would not be seeing much progress. In the grand scheme of things, eating less is a more effective weight loss tool than exercising more.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I found that it was much easier to plan to simply change my goal to what MFP said originally + whatever my exercise calorie average was.

So I tend to burn around 300 or so in my workouts these days. MFP set me at 1200. So I manually plan for 1500 calories and don't even log exercise. It makes it easier for me this way because I plan ahead (like a week ahead of time) what I will be eating and would rather not scramble around to have to eat anything back. I just figure it all in to begin with.
  • wellness2010
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the insight! This really helps.
    I am working towards having all my meals for the week pre-planned, that way, I know exactly what to eat and when!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think the number that the other sites give you assumes that you'll be active so the already figure in the extra calories that MFP gives you when you log exercise. As far as MFP is concerned, you should eat your exercise calories back, that's why the add them in to your food diary. They do tend to overestimate though so I'd suggest at least trying to eat back half of them to make sure you're properly fueling your body.

It does work! Many people here will tell you that eating your exercise calories is the best way to go. I've been doing that all along (even sometimes exceeding daily limits) and have been consistently losing a pound a week. there are some that say this method doesn't work for them though - we are all made differently. But at least try it and see how it works for you...
  • wellness2010
    Options
    My sleep pattern is erratic but mostly sleep by 11pm and wake up at 6am.
    I add one boiled egg to the banana for my pre-run meal.
    Also I add either black beans or green peas, both high in protein, to my post-run meal.

So far so good!

Thank you all!
  • Historychick
    Options
    I am getting back into running and I am planning on running my first 5K in ages in September. Add me as a friend and we can motivate each other!