Looking for friends recovering from an eating disorder who w

Options
I have had an eating disorder since I was 12. I have NEVER lost weight healthy before. Finally, I am learning a healthy way to do this. I am determined to not slip back and lose weight the right way. I would love friends who have the same goals, so we can support each other getting to and staying at (not going below) a healthy weight.

Replies

• katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    I am not personally in this category but just wanted to comment and say good for you!!! Good luck!!!
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to MFP as well and am currently getting help to treat my bulimia and get rid of it once and for all. It's great that your reaching out for support and help, and I'd love to help you! Good luck!
  • crunchygirl
    Options
    Hey! I'm new to MFP as well and am currently getting help to treat my bulimia and get rid of it once and for all. It's great that your reaching out for support and help, and I'd love to help you! Good luck!

We can do this :)
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Nearly 3 years ago i recovered from anorexia(I was 12/13 at the time) And this will be my 3 time attempting to loose weight in a healthy way, it'd be nice to have someone who understands and relates to be a fitness buddy : ).
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm currently trying to recover. I'm definitely here if you need support, I'd love to help out. I wish you luck. :flowerforyou:
  • chlorinegirl753
    Options
    I am also a recovering bulimic. i have suffered from the disease for five years. I am attempting to lose weight the healthy way and not turn to my old ED habits. I am here to give support to anyone who needs it and going through the same thing that I am. I look forward to a new happier and healthier lifestyle in not just food but in every aspect of my life!
  • epalone2
    epalone2 Posts: 8
    Options
    I had an eating disorder as a teen. I am looking for a group to help me along my journey of losing weight. I am already seeing myself slipping back into my old ways, especially with the calorie counter. It's nice knowing that their are others out there that are going through the same thing. Maybe we can all help each other with reaching our goal, only in a healthy way!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too. I would count myself as recovered as I was anorexic about ten-twelve years ago and am now quite normal weight and happy with that. I wish you well with your goals!
  • jessicakaycobb
    Options
    I am also a recovering bulimic. i have suffered from the disease for five years. I am attempting to lose weight the healthy way and not turn to my old ED habits. I am here to give support to anyone who needs it and going through the same thing that I am. I look forward to a new happier and healthier lifestyle in not just food but in every aspect of my life!

it's like everything i was about to put into a comment, you already said!

i started MFP as a way to control my binge/purge habit. it's been four weeks since the last time. i really would love to be a part of this group...it's nice to know we aren't alone. in darker times, i was involved in an online forum of ED individuals who weren't trying to recover, but who just wanted to know they weren't alone. it would be nice to think that there could be a safe, active place here where we could all come together.
  • anawms
    anawms Posts: 9
    Options
    I started this awhile ago before I wanted to recover and was using it as a way to restrict, but recently I have come back and decided to try this the healthy way. Now it helps me eat a normal amount (not too much or too little). I was diagnosed with bulimia about a year ago, but I have been suffering with it for about 6 years. I really just want to be healthy and happy with the way I look. If anyone needs a buddy or support I am here (for good this time). :) Good luck everyone. We can do this.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    Okay, so I'm not sure if everyone is having problems with this or just me. For about 6 months in highschool I became anorexic lost about 30 pounds and would exercise constantly when I had to force myself to eat around people (would choose a small lunch one day with friends or a small dinner with family, or lie etc.) When people noticed they stopped it right away and I fortunately was not the type to switch to bulimia. Gained weight since my lowest at 98lbs.

Problem is right now I'm LOVING exercising again and go every day for about 600 calories on average and am losing. I almost eat up to the 1220 they allow me on a good day but otherwise I'm around 900 on average, no problems with health or energy but am TERRIFIED of eating those exercise calories back. If i really force myself to I can manage 100 or 200 but otherwise i'm afraid I'll gain instead of lose or even remain the same. I knew this would be a difficulty eventually but I'm trying to get over it.

Am I the only one who does this?
  • JWGF01
    JWGF01 Posts: 59
    Options
    hey everyone.... i am a bulimic too.... feel free to add me, as i am happy to help you all..... but the one person i can't help is me... im pretty sure u would understand how easy it is to help someone else.. but when it comes to your own self... you 'have' to purge.. you 'have' to fast.. etc..

happy to help others!!!

and i also need help if anyone wants to =]
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Recovering Exercise bulimic/anorexic. Will add anyone with an ED or recovering from an ED for support. :):):)
  • RebeccaJoyy
    RebeccaJoyy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm looking for recovering friends too.

I've never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, and have never weighed low enough to be considered for anorexia, but for about 6 years I battled with hating my weight and the way I looked. In the past I would eat as little as I could and work out excessively, and I can't deny that I didn't lose weight. I went from 155-115 unhealthily. More than physically hurting me - always being weak, never having enough energy, losing my hair - I was emotionally drained. Diagnosed with depression since I've been 15, the lack of eating made it worse. It was an endless cycle of hating myself, hating the way I looked, and eating less and less. I was miserable. Several times I tried doing it the "healthy way" but could never force myself to eat more than 1000 calories. My body is obviously comfortable at the 120-125 range (which is healthy according to BMI - I'm 5'3"), and I haven't been able to lose any more.

I finally decided to try something new when I discovered this site. Never even thought about the fact that since my body is probably in starvation mode, I've been holding on to my fat stores. So I am trying to eat more, healthy foods, and try to eat back my exercise calories. However mentally, I'm finding it hard to do this. I feel like it is worth a try, since eating less hasn't helped me anymore, but it is still hard to force the calories in.

I would love support, because I KNOW I'm not alone. I also am an active supporter and motivator because giving support also helps me too. Anything to stay positive.

<3 Becky
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    there was a great group for awhile here... check out the thread: (It's super long, though)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/228749-eating-issues-support-group

I am in recovery...doing great at the moment but I have lived with this off/on for like 20 years.

Feel free to Add me!
  • Shineonme06
    Shineonme06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! u can add me
  • stelid
    stelid Posts: 60
    Options
    I appreciate all the honesty going on in this thread. Its hard for me to talk about my past as someone with an ED, but I still struggle from time to time. It's nice to know I am not alone. Please add me if you need support. This is a very sensitive issue. To be honest, I haven't really ever talked to anyone who I know has gone through what I have gone through with Bulimia. It would be nice to talk to someone who knows what its like.

Thank you for posting this and contributing! It's very brave. I hope all of you are staying healthy and positive.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I had anorexia all through high school. This is the first time that I am really trying my hardest to lose weight the healthy way. Good luck all, have a good day and feel free to add me if you would like x :)
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Three months ago I got diagnosed as having a compulsive eating disorder due to depression and I am on tablets used to treat Bulimia.

I can see that there are a lot of people in a similar situation who would be able to provide a lot of support for each other.

I am determined to combat this problem, so would really appreciate the add if you are in the same boat.

Please feel free to add me.

Thanks x
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Three months ago I got diagnosed as having a compulsive eating disorder due to depression and I am on tablets used to treat Bulimia.

I can see that there are a lot of people in a similar situation who would be able to provide a lot of support for each other.

I am determined to combat this problem, so would really appreciate the add if you are in the same boat.

Please feel free to add me.

Thanks x