Looking for bread recipes, anyone have any?

silhouettes
silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
I have always loved bread.. rolls, biscuits, bread in general. I fell in love with wheat bread when I tried it...

I decided I wanted to try to make my own bread at home... a loaf, biscuits, rolls, anything really.. but when I look online I keep finding "fattening" recipes, so I thought I would ask here.. anyone have any good recipes for any of the above that are healthy and taste yummy?

Thanks!

EDIT: I should put we don't cook homemade stuff to much.. we don't have a bread maker and we aren't good with fancy instuctions (like fudge requires) so hoping for something fairly simple or easy to figure out!

Replies

• jlrae
    jlrae Posts: 35
    Basic Bread Recipe (I make this one quite often)

This is from "Artisan Bread in Five minutes a day" my bread bible for several years now.

It makes four 1lb loaves

3 c lukewarm water

1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast

1 1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt

6 1/2 c all purpose flour (I do half white/ half whole wheat) measured carefully

cornmeal or oatmeal for the pan

Add yeast and salt to warm water in large bowl. Mix in flour- no kneading. I dump it into the water in my standing mixer (can do it by hand as well) and mix until everything is incorporated.

Cover with a towel and let rise approx 2 hours. I've let it rise 3-4 hours without any change to finished bread.

Then you can either go on with the next step or refrigerate the dough. It keeps up to two weeks in a covered, but not air-tight container. After a few days it picks up a fantastic sour dough-like taste.

When you want to bake: sprinkle dough with flour and cut off a grapefruit sized hunk with a serrated knife. It is VERY sticky dough- dust your hands with flour- stretch the dough and shape into a ball. Let it rest on something easy to slide it off of for 40 minutes- (I use a wooden cutting board) and make sure you sprinkled the surface with cornmeal or something to keep it from sticking.

20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450F - with a baking stone or even a cookie sheet. Place broiler tray in bottom. dust loaf with flour and slash the top with knife. Slide loaf into oven, then pour 1 c hot water into broiler pan. Bake 30 minutes until crust is nice and brown.

Cool completely.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Basic Bread Recipe (I make this one quite often)

This is from "Artisan Bread in Five minutes a day" my bread bible for several years now.

It makes four 1lb loaves

3 c lukewarm water

1 1/2 tbsp granulated yeast

1 1/2 tbsp coarse sea salt

6 1/2 c all purpose flour (I do half white/ half whole wheat) measured carefully

cornmeal or oatmeal for the pan

Add yeast and salt to warm water in large bowl. Mix in flour- no kneading. I dump it into the water in my standing mixer (can do it by hand as well) and mix until everything is incorporated.

Cover with a towel and let rise approx 2 hours. I've let it rise 3-4 hours without any change to finished bread.

Then you can either go on with the next step or refrigerate the dough. It keeps up to two weeks in a covered, but not air-tight container. After a few days it picks up a fantastic sour dough-like taste.

When you want to bake: sprinkle dough with flour and cut off a grapefruit sized hunk with a serrated knife. It is VERY sticky dough- dust your hands with flour- stretch the dough and shape into a ball. Let it rest on something easy to slide it off of for 40 minutes- (I use a wooden cutting board) and make sure you sprinkled the surface with cornmeal or something to keep it from sticking.

20 minutes before baking, preheat oven to 450F - with a baking stone or even a cookie sheet. Place broiler tray in bottom. dust loaf with flour and slash the top with knife. Slide loaf into oven, then pour 1 c hot water into broiler pan. Bake 30 minutes until crust is nice and brown.

Cool completely.

Bump. This sounds pretty healthy, but a few questions: What size of pan do you use? and... Is granulated yeast just like regular yeast you buy in the packets?
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    I have an amazing one -- I sent it to another mfp friend recently --- I'll forward it to you :)
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    The above mentioned recipe is a great one. I love my "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" book.
    However, here is another great recipe with awesome picture to accompany:
    http://steamykitchen.com/168-no-knead-bread-revisited.html