Extreme Depression and Movement help

Hi there everyone. I’m reaching out to everyone with experience in extreme depression/grief and the urge to stay in bed. I don’t know where to start. I’ve gained a lot of weight here in bed but the grief and trauma is just so prevalent my entire life has been ruined for the past year. I just need some pointers on how to begin to move around, taking it very slow. I’m talking things I can do in bed and very close to bed that will increase my motivation and circulation so that I’ll at some point start venturing out to meet real fitness goals. I could use a friend (or 50 lol) to help me out here. I need to return to the living, especially my children and my husband. I’m not a big eater, so food is not a problem but Coca Cola is! I think I’m nearing diabetes I don’t know. I refuse to leave and take care of myself with health. Anyway, any help is so much appreciated. Thanks so much

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Unfortunately, it's difficult for anyone here to provide any advice if you are suffering from extreme depression. If you are not yet already getting professional help, please do so. Your full admission to refuse to take care of yourself and health is not going to gain any positive response.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I have struggled with depression and understand the urge to stay in bed. It’s unclear from your post how much mobility you currently have. It’s very important for you to approach this safely. Are you currently able to walk?

I would encourage you to talk to your doctor or a counselor. But I know that can sometimes be frightening as well. Know that no situation is without hope. Focus on the positive steps you can take even if they are very small. It’s scary, but every step you can take control of is liberating. Log your food. Even if you dint think it is a problem. Logging food is a way to take control of your life.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Depression so severe that you can't/won't leave your bed is not something that even the most well-intentioned internet folk can help you with. It sounds like you badly need professional psychiatric help and probably anti-depressants to help you on the road to health and healing. In the meantime, you can try switching to Diet Coke if you're worried about diabetes, but that's really just slapping a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Having been there, I understand how hard it is to feel any motivation for change. Talk to your doctor, they may be able to provide some guidance or at the least refer you to someone that can assist in your recovery.

Try focusing on the small things. Stretches in bed. If you feel up to trying...walk down the hall. Maybe a couple of laps around the house/apartment. Just a little something to slowly get you moving.

If you're not the diet soda type person (I know I am most definitely not), maybe opt for something like a sodastream? The concentrate is much lower in calories and sugar, and still very satisfying.

OP, there's been some great advise posted in the thread and I hope you find the help you need, and feel free to add me as a friend on MFP.

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    I can’t speak to your experience, but for my own, the only thing that helped was seeking professional medical help (counseling, therapy, medication). My advice would be to not just try to power through it or think you can just wait it out. It might not go away on its own but there is help available. Please go seek it out, for yourself and your family.
  • mandeloo
    mandeloo Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    I’m so sorry if I upset anyone! Thanks for the advice
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I hope you will check back in and let us know how you are doing.