Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would you go to....

Options
HappyKat5
HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
edited April 2018 in Debate Club
A Personal Trainer that was overweight? Or a Nutritionist that was overweight? I firmly believe that I would go to both of them because I’m a big fan of not judging a book by it’s cover (for personal reasons) AND because I realized I have no idea what they are dealing with at home or with themselves, so who am I to make a judgment call? I didn’t feel this way always, though. In the past, I noticed that when I paid for services (ex. Personal training) I gravitated towards people that had a body/fitness level that I wanted AS opposed to when I take a free class (even though they knew more about health and fitness than the other person). I try to listen to my “gut” more theses days. Maybe, I’m expecting something different? Anyways, just a thought.

Replies

• JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don’t care what my PT looks like, as long as he/she watches my form and pushes me. Nutritionist on the other hand are on shaky ground with me to begin with due to how easily they just accept any new study they hear about without checking if it is peer reviewed/biased.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well...most nutritionists I've been to are either fat or eat "crap" ( what I consider a waste of calories and macros that is) so... I don't go to those no more, I only use MFP lol.

One of my trainers is huge, but he's on a continuous bulk so..the other one is fit and works out hard and has great advice.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Nope. I also wouldn't go to a hairdresser with bad hair.

Pretty much this.
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No kidding. What hairdresser does their own hair? As long as the person shows they are knowledgeable, an expert in their field. Even pro athletes have trainers. You think Brady's throwing coach is a better QB? Or Harper's batting coach a better hitter?

Um, most hairdressers style their own hair. Pp did not say hair cut.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    No kidding. What hairdresser does their own hair? As long as the person shows they are knowledgeable, an expert in their field. Even pro athletes have trainers. You think Brady's throwing coach is a better QB? Or Harper's batting coach a better hitter?

You are right. Did not say "hair cut"...
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

You are right. Did not say "hair cut"...

Nope didn't say cut.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It depends. If the individual marketing their approach to health has other strengths, then certainly. Many trainers use their body as their billboard. Some are motivating in other ways. All depends on a track record of results.

Would I hire this guy?

sv2hqcv3awg3.png

...in a heartbeat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

CSARdiver wrote: »
    It depends. If the individual marketing their approach to health has other strengths, then certainly. Many trainers use their body as their billboard. Some are motivating in other ways. All depends on a track record of results.

Would I hire this guy?

sv2hqcv3awg3.png

...in a heartbeat.

The track record of results would be most important to me too. Have they coached others to success in the area I'm seeking assistance?

If I'm wanting to qualify for Boston and paying someone for help, the number of people they've helped get to the Boston Marathon is going to be more relevant to me than how many times they've run Boston themselves.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes probably
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    No,,I wouldn't go to a make up artist with a bad make up job or an estitician with bad skin either,a mechanic with a crappy running car,take my kids to a babysitter with wild kids,etc
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nope. I also wouldn't go to a hairdresser with bad hair.

Reminds me of the story of the barbershop with two barbers. One with a good haircut and one with a bad haircut. Which barber do you choose? The one with the BAD haircut. He doesn't cut his own, the other barber cuts his hair. So he must be the good barber.

That was the first thing I thought when I read this!

I'm a hairdresser and own my own small shop. i have amazing hair but can't find anyone to give me a decent cut. It's sooooo annoying. I also wear my hair in a pontytail almost every day as it gets hot and annoying working with it down. It's very long and thick. That being said, although my hair isn't done while I'm at work, I'm very goood at what I do, one of the best in the area.

Also, just so you know... any hairdresser may be able to style their own hair, but doesn't mean they can color or cut hair well at all! Trust me, I've seen it many times over. It doesn't matter how well they style their own hair if they can't cut or color and send you home with something you can manage yourself and make look good on a daily basis . Food for thought.

To answer the original question. Yes, and I have. My first trainer wasn't in the best of shape. She was a great trainer, taught me a lot of what I know, and is now in amazing shape and competes in fitness competitions. She just went through a rough time in her life back then.

I know a lot about nutrition and have considered doing it. 4 years or so ago I ballooned up to 255. Being in a relationship with someone that could eat whatever they wanted, being in two car accident, pain, numerous cortisone shots (steroids) and being in fertility treatment all at the same time. The perfect storm. It was a crazy mix of things that aided in my packing on the pounds but it didn't take away my knowledge. I still knew what I knew.