coffe on weight loss....

Options
What is the effect of coffee, I keep hearing all these different sides about caffeine and antioxidants, but then a lot of bad also.... I have probably 4 cups a day, with non dairy creamer and agave nectar. HELP!

Replies

• shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Coffee won't slow down your weight lost !!!! Many websites say coffee is good for speeding up the metabolism! It's the stuff you add into your coffee that's not good....
  • LisaMariaCallow
    Options
    I have 24 oz of coffee EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MY LIFE!!! I dink it with sugar free creamer & splenda. Enjoy your cup-o-joe!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I just read an article on this a couple of weeks ago that made sense to me...

Lots of folks will say that it dehydrates you. It doesn't it just hydrates your less effectively.
    It said that 1-2 cups a day were find and that no adverse effects were notice up to 3-4 cups, but that should be max amount you drink.

I'm going to look back for the URL to the article then edit this post to include it.

Okay I haven't found the URL yet, but I did grab this snippet of I quote that I'd copied from the article
    Researchers have conducted controlled human studies to examine how caffeine affects hydration under a variety of conditions. Under normal, “everyday” circumstances, caffeine does not cause more fluid to be lost from the body than the caffeinated beverage itself provides (7,8). Caffeine may cause a bit more fluid to be excreted (as urine) in the short term (24 hour period) when compared to plain water, but this effect is mild and is not documented to affect hydration status (7).

Here it is....
    www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm

Coffee is my preferred caffeine delivery system... It supresses the appetite. Diet coke always revs up my appetite, plus it has all those nasty chemicals in it.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It's delicious. HTH.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you keep it at or below 4/day as I recently heard that more than that can increase likelihood of a couple of problems (eg. gout) but otherwise shouldn't be a problem if you watch the additions.
  • dancingphoenix
    Options
    Since I get stress migraines, my doc says coffee and the caffeine in the coffee is good for me and that I should keep drinking it. I also drink around 4 cups a day (sometimes less sometimes more depending). I count the cups of coffee in my food log and I seem to be losing weight, so I am not really concerned about it... Other people may be different, so the best thing to do is to ask your doctor if coffee is ok for you.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Keeps you "Regular" Poo... I mean too!
  • bowmanj35
    bowmanj35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    man you guys rock, and this site rocks. that many replies in under 10 minutes!
  • Gorger
    Gorger Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Coffee prevents you from getting 'Triple Negative Breast Cancer'. Use organic beans and grind it yourself and drink it within 20 minutes of brewing. I use a Bodem. Delicious. No milk or sugar helps. It is an anitoxident if you drink it within 20 minutes.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a pot of coffee a day with Pure Via and unsweetened almond milk. It hasn't caused me any problems. Good thing because I'm not willing to quit.
  • luckygrrrl
    Options
    The thing about coffee is the dependence it creates and the stuff you put into it. The antioxidant effect is only if you drink it within the first half hour of brewing it.

All things in moderation, but anything that gives you a headache when you stop consuming it, seems like a bad thing to me. Now don't get me wrong, I drink it almost everyday, but only one cup and I'm weening myself off that too!

"If not over consumed caffeine can be beneficial for cognitive function however, no more than 100 mg of caffeine should be consumed in one day. (Khalsa, 1997:266)"
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Lots of folks will say that it dehydrates you. It doesn't it just hydrates your less effectively.

It's a diuretic. It increases the rate at which the body excretes water, therefore you should drink more water because of it. Not a big deal, just know that and you're good. (obviously it's not going to dry you up like the desert...but the effect is still there no matter how large or small)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's a diuretic. It increases the rate at which the body excretes water, therefore you should drink more water because of it. Not a big deal, just know that and you're good. (obviously it's not going to dry you up like the desert...but the effect is still there no matter how large or small)

Here you can decide for yourself if this is a valid source and valid science...

www.caring4cancer.com/go/cancer/nutrition/questions/do-caffeinated-beverages-cause-dehydration.htm
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    If I stop drinking coffee it will negatively effect the health of those around me. As a public service to the world I must never attempt to quit.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Here you can decide for yourself if this is a valid source and valid science...

I understand what the article is saying, but the fact is...even if it's not a very noticeable effect...it's there, plus it never hurts to drink water in abundance either way. I do agree that's it nothing to freak out about for sure, I have my Starbucks fix most mornings, although I keep it to one a day mostly.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    If I stop drinking coffee it will negatively effect the health of those around me. As a public service to the world I must never attempt to quit.

Extremely important point!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's a diuretic in large doses, much larger than a cup of coffee provides. Drinking a cup of coffee or tea (or even a can of caffeinated soda) is still a net gain in hydration levels.
  • NAboost
    NAboost Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with my breakfast, and use the caffeine for the workout I'm about to knock out. Works great, and is almost cal free