Females only - how did you lose the last 10 pounds?

Options
celeste_2009
celeste_2009 Posts: 18 Member
edited April 2018 in Success Stories
Hi ladies!! I am 5'4, 135 pounds, and I've been trying to lose simply a pound since January, to no avail. I was doing intuitive eating before, but finally started MFP this week, with the aim of eating 1800 cals/month. Any advice? I feel like when there is less to lose, it's much harder! (as is evident from my lack of progress!)

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yes it is harder when you’re already at a good/healthy weight. Just keep plugging along. If you eat the appropriate amount of calories your weight will go down although you shouldn’t expect to lose a pound a week. Probably set your goal to .5lb a week instead and try to not let the scale discourage you. It helps me to focus on fitness related goals.
  • celeste_2009
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, both of you, and for reminding me to be patient :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Weigh every food you can possibly weigh. Estimate high when you can't weigh. When you are close to your goal weight, your calorie deficit gets very small, and even a few errors can put you in maintenance or cause you to gain. I had to be meticulous about it.

Don't trust exercise calorie estimates from gym equipment or the MFP database. They're notoriously high. This is why many people say to eat half your exercise calories--not because you only need half, but because estimates are often wrong.

Get comfortable with water weight fluctuations. Intense exercise will cause water weight gain. So will some foods. So will hormonal changes. It's annoying and normal.

Be patient and realistic about how long it takes to lose the last 10 pounds. It took me eight months.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!! I am 5'4, 135 pounds, and I've been trying to lose simply a pound since January, to no avail. I was doing intuitive eating before, but finally started MFP this week, with the aim of eating 1800 cals/month. Any advice? I feel like when there is less to lose, it's much harder! (as is evident from my lack of progress!)

You mean 1800 per day I'm guessing? For your height and weight, that's too much I think unless you are calculating in your deficit, like I do a 20% of my 1700 per day. I put the calculator in my other reply above, the one I use anyway. And you'll see by my diaries what I eat, and basic idea of how much exercise (calories burned). I don't log those every day, but I manage to get my food logged;)

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options

At some point, life became too overwhelming and injuries were in full force, that I skipped the "Pay attention... -5" part, and just repeated the "slack on logging... +5" cycle a few too many times. lol

Oh boy do I know that feeling. I was losing nicely, had made activity a part of my life again (after my first "desk" job saw the weight gain in the first place), was making solid progress, and then a bad injury with the stress that came with it, plus a move and other "life" stuff, put back on most of what I had lost :cry: Now back to slowly taking it back off.

at least we know we can do it! Now it's just a matter of wanting it badly enough TO do it. haha
  • teeenabeana
    teeenabeana Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with the last 10 lbs also :( it's getting really frustrating! I'm trying to incorporate more strength training into my routine because I think my body got used to the same cardio exercises every day for the past year. I'm also paying more attention to hitting my macro goals. I've only been trying these things for a few weeks, so I'll see if it works!
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Discipline, consistency... and PATIENCE!! It took about 6 months to lose the last 10!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Ugh...I did it once and it didn't last. My lowest was 128. It took me weighing every little thing, logging my gum, carrying around peppers for snacks in case I was at events with food...bleh.

I'm back up to 147 and trying to lose another 10 now. If I get VERY lucky I might be able to do it by the end of July. Probably not though.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The first time, food scale and accurate logging, and lots of patience. The following times (after pregnancy, several bulk cycles, so I lose those last 5-10lbs often), I didn't track, but I had decent calorie awareness so just kept going until I was happy.., adherence, consistency and patience.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    It’s really is hard! I lost 45 and can’t lose 5 :s
    I workout daily, I know how to track and still, up and down the same 3, I’m 5’4” and I just want to get to 125-128 from 132-135 so not even to the lowest (115-120) I have tried eating more 1,600-1,800, eating less 1,300-1,500 and Nope, I can lose but ovulation or PMS get here and I’m up again :(
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in 2 months and can't lose the last 10 lbs as fast! I really shouldn't be so surprised by it's frustrating when you don't see the scale move!
  • celeste_2009
    Options
    Thank yo so much for the feedback, everyone! I was starting to feel hopeless, but now I feel a little bit better knowing I'm not the only one :). I think I'm going to see how 1800 cals/day goes, and then if that doesn't work, I'll go down a tad bit lower. Thanks again!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I find that it's more mental than physical at this point. I've always been weighing and logging food, so I'm good with that side of it and I pretty much get the expected rate of lose. You just have to keep plugging along! Time of the month can hide any loss for 2 weeks out of the month for me. I find .5lb per week really hides it's self sometimes. But it is happening! I'll get a whoosh every couple of weeks, then stall again. I have one stinking pound to go and have been bouncing around it for 2 weeks now. It will happen eventually! There's a lot of temptation to slack now that I am basically done and I am really fighting that. I'm also eager to get on to maintenance calories and finding myself a little more hungry every day. Hang in there!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I got down to 125 after a year and a half-but probably the last 6 months was the last 5 pounds. I'm also 5'4", menopausal, hypothyroid and 50 years old (got to the lowest weight at age 48 in 2016). I would agree with all of the above- you have to be very meticulous- no cheat meals because they can throw off your whole week, no bites, licks, tastes, weigh everything and be patient. Avoid sodium, or if you eat something with high sodium, don't weigh yourself for a day or two because it can be discouraging. Also I changed up my exercise routine, added intervals and toward the end stopped eating back exercise calories. After I got to 125 I kept losing without meaning to and got to 121 for a few weeks. Maintenance is definitely much harder than losing because it's all about striking a balance. Getting back into some bad habits I gained back up to 141 this last winter and am trying to get into a range between 125-130. I was back to 130 about a year ago, but then relaxed and lapsed back into the bad habits of eating too many sweets and bad carbs. But instead of ignoring it I am trying to get back down and I am down around 137 at the moment. I almost like the losing thing better because you get the encouragement of good habits on the scale- with maintenance you have to not eat too much, but not eat too little- very hard to get that balance just right!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!