How do I figure out how many calories are in this?

Options
My boyfriends father makes his own bread. It is the most delicious bread I have ever had, but its really thick and heavy. When cooked the thing is bigger than my head and about 4+ inches thick. They do not cut it into slices but into fourths. I never eat a whole fourth though so don't worry.

I have no idea what kind of bread it is other than its white. It's a bosnian recipe and he doesn't speak english for me to really ask details (what would I ask anyways).

How on earth am I supposed to know how many calories are in this bread????!

PART_1311528121615.jpg

Replies

• jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    find the calories for each ingredient then divide it by how much of the loaf u eat
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Can your boyfriend translate?
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    uhhh i wouldnt eat it!

go to a translator site and type in what you want to ask him him then hand it to him. lol
  • sara4cos
    sara4cos Posts: 11
    Options
    Bosnian Bread recipe
    8 cups white bread flour
    1 Tbsp. salt
    ½ Tbsp. yeast
    4 – 4½ cups warm water

This is the recipe I have

you could always watch him make it too
  • luckyduck768
    luckyduck768 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like mentioned earlier, you could take the ingredients and make/add a recipe and then divide by how much you eat of that. I found a general bosnian white bread recipe here:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread141478/pg1

hope this helps!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This bread is similar to pita bread but much, MUCH thicker and heavier. No information on the calories though. I would say treat it as a dessert and don't over indulge.

Lepinje (Bosnian Pita Bread)

Ingredients:

* 2 cups bread flour
    * 2 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast
    * 1 1/2 tsp. salt
    * 1 tsp. sugar
    * 3 tbsp. olive oil
    * water

Instructions:

* Mix the yeast, sugar, and about 1/2 cup lukewarm water in a small cup or bowl. Set it aside and allow it to get foamy and rise up.
    * Oil two baking pans and set them aside.
    * In a large bowl, mix the bread flour and salt together.
    * When the yeast has gotten foamy, add it, along with 2 1/2 tbsp. oil and about 1/2 cup of water to the flour, and mix well.
    * Your dough is going to be too dry, but what you’re going to do is keep adding a little water at a time until the dough becomes a little sticky and all the flour is mixed in. If you put too much water in the dough and it’s too sticky, just add a little bit more flour.
    * After you’ve mixed the ingredients, put the dough on a floured surface and knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
    * Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Use some of the oil on the bowl to oil the dough.
    * Cover the dough with a plastic bag or plastic wrap. Then cover it with one or two towels.
    * Set the dough aside in a warm place and let it rise until it doubles in bulk (about an hour or so depending on how warm your house is).
    * After the dough has risen, place it on a floured surface and punch the air out.
    * Knead the dough again for about 1 more minute.
    * Separate the dough into balls. I separated mine into 4 balls because I didn’t want my pitas too small.
    * Set the dough balls on one of the oiled pans. Brush them with just a little olive oil, and then cover them, letting them rest about 10 or 15 minutes.
    * Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
    * Now you will roll out each dough ball on a floured surface with your rolling pin. Since Bosnian pita bread is thicker than other Mediterranean pitas, it’s rolled out so it will make a thicker bread. But really, it’s up to you how thick you roll it out.
    * After you roll your dough balls out, place them on the greased baking sheets and then brush them with a little more olive oil.
    * Cover them with the plastic wrap and a towel so they can rest for about 20-30 more minutes.
    * Remove your plastic and the towel and put them in the oven to bake.
    * After about 10 minutes, reduce the heat to about 350 degrees.
    * Open the oven and check your pita at this point. The bottom of the pita will brown faster than the top. When the bottom of the pita is a golden brown, flip them over and continue baking.
    * After 5-10 more minutes, open the oven and check the pita again. When the bottom of the pita is golden brown, they should be done. To be sure, poke the bread with a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, it’s done.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but have u searched database for bosnian bread... it make not be exact but I can generally find something similiar on here...?