Can you have too much fiber from fruits and veggies?

Options
Hey! I just started tracking my eating habits last week because I was having constipation problems and I thought I wasn't getting enough fiber. Turns out I'm getting too much fiber.. and it is almost completely from fruits and veggies. I've been reading all about it and a lot of people do say they have the same problems but I can't find any information about if all the extra fiber is mostly from vegetables and fruits. I can't wrap my mind around the idea that I need to eat less of them..

Also I'm over like 10-15g of fiber a day over. Is that a lot? Or not too crazy?

This is also how I have been eating for a long time and I've always had some problem with constipation, but just thought that was how my body was..

Thank you!!!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    10-15 grams over is fine
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I believe you can overdo anything but others will have different thresholds. Asking others if 10-15g over is too much is not the answer because for the next person it may be fine. Ask yourself if it is too much. Adjust down if it is and see if it helps or hurts.

You have to study yourself and learn what you need to be healthy and happy.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think you’re fine, just make sure you’re drinking enough water. If you feel constipated I would up your water intake to help the fiber pass through.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,069 Member
    Options
    I eat 35-50g of fiber daily.

I also eat plenty of fat, in the neighborhood of 75g per day (1700 calorie goal, 140lb female, 5'7")

Fats are important for many reasons, not the least of which is to keep things moving.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Most people dont get enough fiber. A lot of fiber is good.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go hog wild on the vegetables and I get horrible stomach pain for most of the day
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,687 Member
    Options
    Some people have trouble if they go quickly from a very little fiber to quite a lot. It can be good to phase it in gradually. But you'd know if you were having that kind of problem (bloating, constipation, gas - that sort of thing).

If your past includes some constipation, increased fiber from food is a good thing. As others have said, you need adequate water and fat to keep that fiber moving smoothly through your system.

Being "in the red" on MFP for fiber is fine, within reason, as long as you feel OK. The fiber goal makes more sense as a minimum, not a maximum.