It’s time to be honest... I have a problem.

Options
mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
I have a problem. I eat too many calories and I keep gaining weight. Every year it goes up.

I am putting my problem out there. I am owning it. First I admitted it to myself and now I am acknowledging it out loud. So now I can fix it.

I have made excuses, tried to lose weight only to gain it back, and compared myself to people bigger than me in order to make myself feel better. I have cried about how being a mom of 3 little ones makes it hard to take care of myself. But I refused to acknowledge that other people did it. It is possible to be skinny and be a mom. I have just not made the choices that put me there.

I am feeling pretty crummy now that I have admitted:
1- I am fat (It’s not just clothes making me look fat- I am fat)
2- My choices have put me here (yes there are some barriers but nothing that can’t be worked around).

It sucks but it’s true. But I can fix it. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. It is not too difficult to figure out. Burn more calories than I consume.

I am no longer going to feel sorry for myself. I am not a victim. I did this. So I will fix this.

So here I go.....

Thanks for listening. Please feel to share any of your own truths that you have had to face or own up to during this challenge.

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Take small steps to eat less/swap out some higher calorie items for lower ones and walk, walk, walk. I'm also a mom to 3 young kids, incorporate them in your exercise or get up and start moving with them. :smile:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    mlrtri wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    Make the process as EASY as possible. Don't set aggressive goals, unrealistic deadlines, crazy gym plans, etc.

!

Yep - I have made those mistakes.

I tried in the past to do a total makeover of my eating. I made myself research recipes and make food that was too time consuming or not something I enjoyed eating. Those attempts never lasted long.

I decided I was going to lose 2 lbs/week and then got upset when it was slower and gave up. I decided I couldn't do it.

This time I am tweaking my current eating habits/portion sizes. I am trying to find things I enjoy that fill me up without being ridiculously heavy in the calorie department. I am watching portion sizes and going to bed earlier instead of staying up and snacking. I have been keeping my calories down and getting exercise. My progress has been slow but I am working on patience. I have done a lot of soul searching about why I failed in the past and am trying to address the issues. Failing is not an option. I want to be healthy for myself and for my family.

Sounds like you have an excellent plan in place!

One of my keys is staying accountable by stepping on the scale every morning and recording my weight with Libra (a weight trending app). I have yoyo'd up and down the same 15lbs for so long because I put the scale away and ignore my subsequent slow weight gain. This time I am choosing to keep myself accountable and step on the scale, then assess my progress at the end of each month. If I'm maintaining/losing, that's great. If I'm gaining, it's time to tighten back up on good habits.

Good luck!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Ok, you've owned it, now you need to fix it and that means fixing your behavior and your attitude towards food. Forget skinny, go for a healthy weight and understand that ANY weight loss is a WIN. If you only lose 10 pounds and keep it off by changing your eating habits, you have won. Set a realistic goal of say, 1 pound a week and then start logging everything you eat or drink. You don't have to have some grandiose diet plan, just start by logging what you are eating now and take an honest look at your calorie intake and see where your calorie "bombs" are.
    Diet is 80% of weight loss, exercise is only about 20% because it's not humanly possible to work out enough to lose weight by exercise alone, you have to change your diet. You don't have to have a grand workout plan either. Park farther away from the store, take the stairs at work or a walk around the block on your lunch hour. If you have "trigger foods", ban them from your house. Kids don't need cookies, candy, etc. so "kid foods" don't have to be your downfall.

Start doing some nice things for yourself that bring you comfort instead of eating, like a new pair of shoes, new makeup, get a manicure or just go for a walk in the park. You need time for yourself so you can be a better mom for your kids and not a stressed out, unhealthy version of the smart, lovely woman you know you are inside.
  • abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    First thing I started doing on MFP is set my calorie goals and start logging everything I eat in my diary. I also started logging any exercises I did. Mine was just walks in the beginning. The first time I logged my foods for the day, I was eating 3000 calories. Way over my "maintenance" amount which was a bit over half that much as I recall. So when I saw that, I had a place to start.

I also cleaned out my cupboards and went shopping, but easy does it, and one day at a time:) Add some friends, keep your diaries open so people can see and make suggestions about what you are eating, and let yourself be accountable to people. You'll find you have real support from some, and others you may not hit it off with. Just take what you need, and leave the rest. But be open to others suggestions if you can see their diaries, and know they have done the things they are suggesting to you;)
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    The first step to overcoming the problem is to admit there is one. Sometimes that's one of the hardest steps.

Now that you're being honest with yourself, I think you're positioned for great success. I think your approach is awesome - small changes make big impacts over the long haul, and they make it easier to sustain.

You've totally got this! Just keep pushing for progress... even a half step forward is still progress.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I am praying / pulling for you! Fight hard! I will let Shia LaBeouf say it for me!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU
  • JuliBiGoolee
    JuliBiGoolee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Your post could've been written about me. Enough is enough. I've been guilty of setting unrealistic expectations, letting a number on the scale make, or more often break, my motivation and spirit. Letting guilt and shame take me out every time. Not this time. My mantra is weight loss isn't linear, stay honest, make healthy choices, forgive and move on if I haven't met goals (daily, weekly, by meal). It's never too late to start over! You got this!