Calories

Options
eznowjo
eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
So in the UK it says a man's calorie uptake should be 2000 calories.. This app tells me to eat 1800.. Is this so I loose weight

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    When you enter in your stats and the amount of weight you want to lose each week, MFP it gives you a base 'calorie goal' to lose weight. MFP does not include exercise calories, so if you exercise you would eat your 'calorie goal' plus exercise.

This video explains the exercise part.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    eznowjo wrote: »
    So in the UK it says a man's calorie uptake should be 2000 calories.. This app tells me to eat 1800.. Is this so I loose weight

First, the government's suggested calories is just an average or generalization of the entire population. The "average" man will need to eat approx. 2000 cals, or so the government statistics say. If you are larger or smaller, more or less active, than the "average" man, your calorie needs will be different.

But yes, if you told MFP you want to lose weight, your calorie goal will have you eating less calories than your body uses (ie a calorie deficit) so you will lose weight.
  • eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    eznowjo wrote: »

First, the government's suggested calories is just an average or generalization of the entire population. The "average" man will need to eat approx. 2000 cals, or so the government statistics say. If you are larger or smaller, more or less active, than the "average" man, your calorie needs will be different.

But yes, if you told MFP you want to lose weight, your calorie goal will have you eating less calories than your body uses (ie a calorie deficit) so you will lose weight.

Thanks.. That's much more helpfull than the last comment..