IT Band foam rolling

Options
https://youtu.be/bXS5v5RZJSM

I found this video while researching foam rolling. It seems reasonable enough but I didn't even take biology in high school so the idea that my IT band is comprised of a million tiny, angry gremlins that hate the foam roller is equally reasonable. For those of you with more knowledge of human anatomy than I and/or experience in a relevant field, do you agree that I should not foam roll my IT band? Why or why not?

Replies

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Do you actually have an issue with your IT band? I feel that foam rolling provides some minor relief if you are irritating the IT band, but it doesn't address the issue, hence it doesn't make the problem completely go away.

Otherwise, I'm a big proponent of not solving problems you don't have.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I pretty much take the position here...

http://www.stack.com/a/foam-roll-it-band

ETA: usually when I have ITB issues, the root of that issue tends to be in my glutes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    https://youtu.be/bXS5v5RZJSM

I found this video while researching foam rolling. It seems reasonable enough but I didn't even take biology in high school so the idea that my IT band is comprised of a million tiny, angry gremlins that hate the foam roller is equally reasonable. For those of you with more knowledge of human anatomy than I and/or experience in a relevant field, do you agree that I should not foam roll my IT band? Why or why not?

If you're experiencing ITBS then I'd recommend seeing a physiotherapist. My physio would generally recommend core strength work for ITB issues.

Foam rolling is for muscles, the IT band isn't a muscle.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Do you actually have an issue with your IT band? I feel that foam rolling provides some minor relief if you are irritating the IT band, but it doesn't address the issue, hence it doesn't make the problem completely go away.

Otherwise, I'm a big proponent of not solving problems you don't have.

I foam roll and stretch on a daily basis. It's mainly preventative because I do a ton of walking, at least 10kms/day. I would also like to be more flexible in general. My massage therapist recommended foam rolling in between visits but she didn't give me any specific direction so I just went with the little pamphlet that comes with the roll for what exercises to do. Those instructions included the IT band.

Everywhere other than my IT bands get relief from the process and are no longer painful whereas the IT band still hurts like a Mother Hubbard. I was researching to see if I was doing something wrong, had bad form or something. Turns out I was doing something entirely wrong! Thanks for verifying that I'm not just falling victim to some woo.
  • Beckenzahler
    Beckenzahler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Foam rolling has zero benefits outside of a placebo effect.

That being said, if you like it it, go for it.

Foam rolling the IT band or in general?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Foam rolling has zero benefits outside of a placebo effect.

That being said, if you like it it, go for it.

I've had IT Band pain/discomfort and foam rolling gives me INSTANT relief. I'm sure that's just the placebo effect though. Just say "I don't know, I've never used it/needed it before" and move on...
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    For those of you with more knowledge of human anatomy than I and/or experience in a relevant field, do you agree that I should not foam roll my IT band? Why or why not?

i wouldn't advise you about you. i don't mind telling you that i'd never foam roll directly over my own i.t. bands. did it once and it was a pretty major mistake in my case. there's nothing underneath mine but bone and i probably did myself more harm than good.

i'm in the 'release the muscles that feed into it' school. i have actually had that make a big difference, but i really have to stay off the i.t. fibres themselves.