Exercising when Ill??

Hi

Do you push through and exercise when I'll?

Sore throat / cough / mild fever / mild weakness?

Been I'll pass ten days and have pushed through then given it a rest then pushed through... Fristrating to have to wait yet exhausted.

Feeling I should respect my body's need to rest yet wanting f to stick to my plan and frustrated.

What.do you suggest ?

(Yes might check a doc too)

Thanks

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    I also vote for rest. In addition, ime dehydration and illness are often close companions. Who likes drinking with a sore throat? If you are dehydrated exercise will make it worse perhaps even to the point of passing out. This can make it very dangerous for you to drive.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Rest. Don't risk making your own illness worse or spreading it to others.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    if i feel like It I do - then it helps but if I don't feel it - I don't - it will only make me feel worst.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    If your illness is above the neck, you're generally ok to workout. Given that you are experiencing weakness and fever, you should rest.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    A slight head cold or allergies should be okay. Weakness means that your body needs to heal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you are contagious or MIGHT be contagious for the love of anything holy say out of the gym!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    If your body is tired or weak, do not force yourself to work out, whether you go to a gym or not. Let your body use its energy to heal, then you can get back to working out.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    If you are going to exercise, do it at home or outside. I don’t mind working out when I’m a little sick, but those who bring their sickness to the gym......not a fan
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Rest and eat at maintenance.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I've never been so ill I couldn't work out for a whole 10 days. You must be pretty dang sick. Just rest.

The only thing I'll do when I'm terribly terribly sick is try to take little walks so I'm not completely sedentary. But if anything they are/feel good. I'm a slow *kitten* walker too.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Unless I'm sick enough to be in bed (which is REALLY sick for me) I do a little bit just to stay mobile and to keep from getting stiff. If you're older you know what I mean!

I have a spa, so I do hot tub yoga, Qigong, slow walking, or very light bodyweight exercises as examples. I feel better if I move a little. Worse if I just lay around.
  • happyfulfillment
    happyfulfillment Posts: 21 Member
    Hi all
    Thanks for the input.

I work out at home so no worries. I wouldn't go to the gym sick and when I was a member at the club I was one of the few (only?) women who would not swim in the pool when menstruating out of consideration. I was amazed how many did it.

Anyway, I can do yoga Tai chi walk etc. I was just frustrated as I want to stick to my T25 schedule and not.miss a day. Feeling guilty as I rarely get sick and this had to happen NOW??

Anyway, I am giving T25 a rest though I can do a little dancing etc.

I know now why this happened. I have been doing a couple of introspective courses and my body really wants me to detox the inner stuff, forgive etc, it is such powerful.work and I was getting totally absorbed.in fitness and neglecting that work.

So I honor the body, postpone T25 and intensely do the inner clearing for now.

Happy vibes, all
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Ten days is a long time to have a sore throat. Do inner cleaning if that's what you're into but also get a strep test.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Listen to your body. If you push yourself too hard while sick you'll only prolong your recovery and potentially make things worse. Been there, done that.
  • happyfulfillment
    happyfulfillment Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks guys